1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zeros in a circuit transfer function

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Complete the circuit in the figure in order to get a transfer function as: H(s) = k*[s(s^2+10^10)]/[(s+10^3)(s+10^5)(s^2+1.41*10^5s+10^10)].

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I split the circuit in four stages: H1(s), H2(s), H3(s) and H4(s), I obtain:

H1(s) = -(1/(R1*C1))/(s+1/(R2*C1)). One single pole.
    H3(s) = -(1/(R3*C2))/(s+1/(R4*C2)). One single pole.
    H4(s) = (1/(LC3))/(s^2+(1/(R5*C3))s + 1/(LC3)). Complex pole.

How can I build an H2(s) stage to include a simple zero and a double zero? How can I build a circuit like that? It cannot introduce poles!

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Highly impractical, but you can add 1 op amp stage with a C input & R feedback (giving you the zero at the origin), and a second stage with a parallel L-C input and L feedback (giving you the complex-conjugate zero pair on the imaginary axis).

In real life you would not have two single-pole stages like you have to deal with ....

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    Thank you.

Curiously, what happens in real life if you build a circuit like this?

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, realize that your transfer function is not realizable in any practical way. That's because it calls for zero gain at w = sqrt(10^10) = 1e5 rad/s or 1e5/2pi Hz. That is impossible to get and still have finite gain at other frequencies. So this problem is a "textbook" problem & so it's OK to use impractical circuits like what I gave you.

The s in the numerator would be made part of a Ts/(Ts + 1) circuit so you'd get you zero at the origin plus your pole at s = - 1/T. That's just a series R-C in the input and R in the feedback:
    Vout/Vin = -Zf/Zi = -Rf/(Ri + 1/sC) = -(Rf/Ri)sRiC/(sRiC + 1).

There are fancy networks (like 3 R's and 2C's in the feedback etc.) for synthesizing complex-conjugate zeros (or poles) but never if the poles or zeros have to be right on the imaginary axis, since that implies an infinite-Q circuit.

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5

The Electrician

Gold Member

It's not difficult to place a complex zero right on the jw axis (or close to the jw axis on either side). Twin-T and bridged-T networks are one way to do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook