Expert Tips for Zip Line Anchoring | How to Secure Your Backyard Zip Line

• Thread starter Eeman0201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the conversation discusses building a 200ft zip line with an anchor for the top, but needing advice on an anchor for the bottom. The suggestion of using a 6"x6"x12' plywood buried 4 feet in the ground with a guy wire anchored to a 4"x4"x4' 2.5 feet into the ground is given, but it is advised to hire a professional engineer for safety reasons. Other factors such as soil type and tension in the wire are also mentioned, along with the importance of proper insurance coverage.
Eeman0201
So I'm making an ~200ft long zip line with the top being anchored to a tall tree in my backyard. My problem is I need an anchor for the bottom. Can I use a 6"x6"x12' plywood buried 4 feet in the ground with a guy wire anchored to a 4"x4"x4' 2.5 feet into the ground? What would you say I should use to anchor th zip line about 4-7 feet off of the ground? Note: I can't find any used telephone poles near me so you have to come up with something else besides a telephone poll.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Isn't a telephone poll when someone calls you up and asks you what you think about how well the mayor is doing?

Considering that this is safety-related, I would hire an actual engineer and not go looking for what a bunch of folks on the internet say.

Likes XZ923, anorlunda and jim mcnamara
Eeman0201.
Welcome to PF. Thanks for the question. Sorry about the reception you received.
I had never heard of it being called a zip line before so I had to look it up.

Anyhow, the folks here at PF are highly averse to doing anything that might come back at them if someone got hurt. There are other sites, frequented by members who have less competency that will happily help you solve the problem of providing a good solid anchor.

The wire support should be an 'A' frame so it does not fall sideways, but more importantly, if someone goes to far they do not hit the post.

A good design would be to keep wood away from the soil. Over time, wood will rot in soil. You will not be able to inspect a buried anchor so when it fails, it will fail suddenly without warning.

The ground anchor will come down to a number of things. What is the soil type? How deep is the soil, does it have many rocks?

The strength of the anchor must be enough to handle the maximum tension in the wire. Sag will be very important because it reduces the wire tension, but the tension in the wire will always be more than the rider. The straighter the wire the more tension will be produced by the weight of a rider as is demonstrated by the “Triangle of forces”. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lami's_theorem

Vanadium 50 said:
Considering that this is safety-related, I would hire an actual engineer
Agreed. Please try to find a competent local person who can help you with this. And be sure to let your homeowner's insurance company know about the new toy and who-all will be using it. They may have some suggestions about how to make it as safe as possible. Keep in mind that entertainment companies who operate Zip Lines carry liability insurance.

1. How deep should the anchor for a zip line be?

The depth of the anchor for a zip line depends on various factors such as soil type, slope, weight capacity, and tension of the line. Generally, it is recommended to have the anchor buried at least 3-4 feet deep in the ground.

2. What type of anchor should I use for a zip line?

The type of anchor to use for a zip line will depend on the specific requirements of your zip line. Some common types of anchors used for zip lines include helical anchors, concrete footers, and deadman anchors. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best type of anchor for your zip line.

3. How far apart should the anchors be for a zip line?

The distance between the anchors for a zip line will depend on the length and tension of the line. Generally, the anchors should be placed at a distance of 1/3 to 1/2 of the length of the zip line. For example, if the zip line is 100 feet long, the anchors should be placed 33-50 feet apart.

4. Can I use existing structures as anchors for a zip line?

It is not recommended to use existing structures such as trees or buildings as anchors for a zip line. This is because these structures may not be strong enough to withstand the tension and weight of the line, and can cause damage or injury. It is important to use proper anchors specifically designed for zip lines.

5. How often should I inspect and maintain the anchors for a zip line?

It is recommended to inspect the anchors for a zip line at least once a year. This includes checking for any signs of wear and tear, tightening any loose bolts or cables, and ensuring the anchors are still securely in place. If any issues are found during the inspection, it is important to address them immediately to maintain the safety and integrity of the zip line.