Recursively enumerable predicate

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you.In summary, the function f(x) defined as \mu_{y} Q(x,y) does not define a partially recursive function because it is not guaranteed to converge on every output. This is due to the fact that Q(x,y) is only recursively enumerable and may not hold for all inputs. This can be seen in the example provided where f(x) only equals 0 for elements of the nonrecursive set A, while it does not terminate for other inputs. Therefore, f cannot be considered a partial recursive function.
twoflower
Hi all,

could someone please explain to me, why, having recursively enumerable predicate Q(x,y) which is not recursive, the function defined as

[tex]
f(x) \simeq \mu_{y} Q(x,y)
[/tex]

doesn't define partially recursive function?

Ok, here's the argument for it: the program will "try" if Q(x,y) for y = 0 and since Q(x,y) is only r.e., we'll get stuck in case Q(x,0) doesn't hold. BUT is this a problem? I mean, partially recursive functions are not expected to converge on every output so this is not a problem, is it?

I searched the literature and found the following proof in Odifreddi's Classical Recursion Theory:

Let A be an r.e. nonrecursive set and define:

[tex]
\psi(x,y) \simeq 0 \Leftrightarrow (y = 0 \wedge x \in A) \vee y = 1
[/tex]

Then [itex]\psi[/itex] is partial recursive, but if

[tex]
f(x) = \mu_{y} (\psi(x,y) \simeq 0)
[/tex]

then [itex]f[/itex] (total) [Why is [itex]f[/itex] total?] is not partial recursive, otherwise it would be recursive and since

[tex]
f(x) = 0 \Leftrightarrow x \in A
[/tex]

so would be A.

As I highlighted, I can't see why [itex]f[/itex] is total and thus from my point of view there is no contradiction if [itex]f[/itex] were partial recursive.

Thank you for any suggestion, I'll be thankful for anything.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

The reason why f is considered to be total in this case is because the function is defined for all inputs x. However, it may not terminate for some inputs if Q(x,y) does not hold for any y. This is why it is considered to be a partially recursive function, as it may not converge on every output.

In this case, f(x) will only equal 0 if x is an element of the nonrecursive set A. Otherwise, it will not terminate and will not have a defined output. This is why f cannot be considered to be a partial recursive function, as it does not converge on every output.

I hope this helps clarify the issue. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi there,

A recursively enumerable predicate is a predicate that can be checked by a Turing machine, but not necessarily decided by it. This means that the Turing machine can run indefinitely without ever giving a definitive answer. In other words, the Turing machine can "enumerate" all the possible solutions, but it may never reach a point where it can verify if a given input satisfies the predicate or not.

Now, in the case of the function f(x) \simeq \mu_{y} Q(x,y), we are essentially trying to find the smallest y such that Q(x,y) holds. However, since Q(x,y) is only recursively enumerable, there is no guarantee that the Turing machine will ever find a y that satisfies the predicate. This means that the function f(x) will also not always converge on a solution, making it a partial recursive function.

The proof you mentioned uses the fact that if f(x) were total (meaning it always converges on a solution), then it would be recursive. However, since A is an r.e. nonrecursive set, this would lead to a contradiction. Thus, f(x) must be a partial recursive function.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Recursively enumerable predicate

What is a recursively enumerable predicate?

A recursively enumerable predicate is a logical statement that can be checked by a computer program, where the set of all valid inputs for the predicate can be generated by an algorithm.

How is a recursively enumerable predicate different from a decidable predicate?

A decidable predicate is one where a computer program can determine whether a given input is true or false, while a recursively enumerable predicate only requires the program to generate all possible inputs that make the statement true.

What is the significance of recursively enumerable predicates in computer science?

Recursively enumerable predicates are important in the study of computability and complexity theory, as they help to classify problems based on their solvability and the amount of resources needed to solve them.

How are recursively enumerable predicates used in artificial intelligence?

In artificial intelligence, recursively enumerable predicates are used to represent and reason about complex logical statements, such as those found in natural language processing and automated theorem proving.

Can any predicate be recursively enumerable?

No, not all predicates can be recursively enumerable. In fact, there are infinitely more non-recursively enumerable predicates than recursively enumerable ones. This is due to the fact that recursively enumerable predicates must have a computable procedure for generating the set of all valid inputs, which is not always possible for all logical statements.