Register to reply

Particle Representations

by Alamino
Tags: particle, representations
Share this thread:
Alamino
May24-04, 01:10 PM
P: 71
Does anyone know of any and can comment a good introduction to representaions of elementary particles?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
selfAdjoint
May24-04, 01:53 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
Do you mean group representaions? There's a Dover book by Hammermesh, "Group Theory and its Application to Physical Problems" that takes you through the calculation of the representations.
rick1138
May24-04, 10:00 PM
P: 199
Another title is Howard Georgi's Lie Algebras in Particle Physics. Neither of these books are a quick read, but they are the best intros available.

rick1138
May25-04, 11:32 AM
Particle Representations

I just found some great notes on the subject here:

http://www.itp.uni-hannover.de/~flohr/lectures/

Go to the Physical Applications of Group Theory section and download the documents available. Everything is in English.
selfAdjoint
May25-04, 07:20 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
Boy are those good notes! I've printed them off, and they're going into a binder for reference. He explains! Tells you why the group multiplication is less useful than conjugation. I've known about those for 50 years and never saw that before.
Alamino
May27-04, 11:24 AM
P: 71
Yes, great notes! I gave a look at Georgi's book and it's very good too. I'll try to find the other in the library.

Thanks for the help.
rick1138
May27-04, 09:13 PM
Another book I forgot to mention is Frappat, Sciarrino, and Sorba's Dictionary on Lie Algebras and Superalgebras. The topics are enumerated largely through representations - one of the best books on Lie theory I have come across.
Janitor
May27-04, 11:52 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,189
Back in the early 1980s I worked my way through an introductory book on the topic, Lichtenberg's Unitary Symmetry and Elementary Particles. Whether it is stil in print I wouldn't know.
rick1138
May28-04, 01:16 AM
That sounds like a good one. Here is another set of notes:

http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sg/p641.html

"Notes on gauge theory. Probably covered last semester, but may be useful for HW 1"

is the file that covers representation theory most explicitly. It has the clearest exposition of decomposing products of reps into sums using Young tableaux that I have seen anywhere,

Register to reply