Solved: Pulse Wave Problem - Speed of the Crest in m/s

• Thread starter bricker9236
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulse Wave
In summary, the question involves finding the speed of a pulse wave traveling along a string of length 5 m with a weight of 10 kg and a tension of 200 N. The equation used is v = sqrt(F/u) where u is the linear density of the string. The density can be obtained by definition and then substituted into the equation. The resulting answer should be in m/s.
bricker9236

Homework Statement

A string of length l = 5 m weighs M = 10 kg . A pulse wave is traveling along the string. What is the speed v of the crest of the pulse, in the uint of m/s , if the tension of the string F is 200 N ?

Homework Equations

v= sqrt F/u
u= m/L

HELP: We can obtain an expression for the wave speed by analyzing the forces acting a string of length l and mass M. Do you recall the resulting relation between the speed of the wave and the tension and the linear density?

HELP: ...Get the density by defination and then use above equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried importing the numbers into the equation what I thought was the equation the HELP statement suggested.. and i got

v=sqrt 200/(10/15) = 17.320 ... is there something else i should be doing because this answer was wrong but i thought for sure i was doing it correct.

Physics news on Phys.org

The length of the string is 5 m. Where did you get 15 m?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and variables. In this case, the relevant equation is the wave speed equation, v=sqrt(F/u), where F is the tension in the string and u is the linear density (mass per unit length). The given variables are the length of the string (l=5m), the mass of the string (M=10kg), and the tension (F=200N).

Next, I would use the given information to calculate the linear density, u, by dividing the mass by the length of the string (u=M/l=10kg/5m=2kg/m). Then, I would plug in the values for F and u into the wave speed equation to solve for v: v=sqrt(200N/2kg/m)=20m/s. This would be the speed of the crest of the pulse in meters per second.

It is important to note that the units for the linear density must be in kilograms per meter (kg/m) in order for the final answer to be in meters per second (m/s). If the units are not consistent, the final answer will be incorrect.

In conclusion, the speed of the crest of the pulse in this problem is 20 m/s. It is important to carefully analyze the given information and use the correct equations and units to arrive at the correct solution.

What is the "Pulse Wave Problem"?

The Pulse Wave Problem refers to a scientific phenomenon where a disturbance or energy is transmitted through a medium in the form of a wave. This can occur in a variety of systems, such as sound waves in air or water waves in the ocean.

What is the speed of the crest in a pulse wave?

The speed of the crest in a pulse wave depends on the medium through which it is traveling. In general, the speed of the crest will be determined by the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity. It can also be affected by external factors, such as temperature and pressure.

How is the speed of the crest in a pulse wave calculated?

The speed of the crest in a pulse wave can be calculated using the formula v = λf, where v is the speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency of the wave. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken.

What factors can affect the speed of the crest in a pulse wave?

As mentioned earlier, the speed of the crest in a pulse wave can be affected by the properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity. Additionally, temperature and pressure can also have an impact. Other external factors, such as the shape and size of the medium, can also play a role.

Why is the speed of the crest in a pulse wave important to study?

The speed of the crest in a pulse wave is important to study because it can provide valuable information about the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. It can also help us better understand the behavior of waves and their effects on different systems, which can have practical applications in various fields such as engineering and medicine.