Thermal conductivity of 304 SS

In summary, the thermal conductivity of 304 SS is 16.2 W/mK at room temperature, making it a relatively good conductor of heat. It has a higher thermal conductivity compared to other stainless steels, such as 316 SS. The thermal conductivity of 304 SS decreases with increasing temperature, and can be affected by factors such as chemical composition and microstructure. It is typically measured using a thermal conductivity meter or through experiments.
cwgarr
I am trying to decide what alloy I should use in an experimental heat transfer device. I am considering 2 materials- 304 Stainless Steel and SAE 516 Grade 70 boiler steel. I want to choose the material that has the best conductivity characteristics. To be clear, I want the material that has the best thermal transfer rate. Both metals would be approximately .125" thick and would be exposed to a source heat of 1000F.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the thermal conductivity of 304 SS?

The thermal conductivity of 304 SS is 16.2 W/mK at room temperature. This means that it is a relatively good conductor of heat.

2. How does the thermal conductivity of 304 SS compare to other stainless steels?

304 SS has a higher thermal conductivity compared to other stainless steels, such as 316 SS, which has a thermal conductivity of 14.6 W/mK.

3. Does the thermal conductivity of 304 SS change with temperature?

Yes, the thermal conductivity of 304 SS decreases as temperature increases. At 100°C, the thermal conductivity of 304 SS is approximately 14.2 W/mK.

4. What factors can affect the thermal conductivity of 304 SS?

The thermal conductivity of 304 SS can be affected by factors such as the chemical composition, microstructure, and processing of the material. For example, increasing the amount of carbon in the steel can increase its thermal conductivity.

5. How is the thermal conductivity of 304 SS measured?

The thermal conductivity of 304 SS is typically measured using a thermal conductivity meter or by conducting experiments to measure the rate of heat transfer through the material. This value can also be calculated using the material's specific heat capacity, density, and thermal diffusivity.