by newtomath
Tags: initial
Share this thread:
newtomath
Jul18-11, 11:06 PM
P: 37
a 3rd order IVP I am havin trouble with:

y''' -3y'' +2y' = t + e^t y(0)=1, y'(0)= -.25 y''(0)= -1.5

I am using At^2 and B*e^t *t as my Y1 and Y2. Is this correct?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
hunt_mat
Jul19-11, 06:57 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,583
I think that you were helped with the complimentary solution, for the particular integral I would try the function [itex]f(t)=At^{4}+Bt^{3}+Ct^{2}+Dt +E +Fe^{t}[/itex]
HallsofIvy
Jul19-11, 07:29 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,691
I have no clue what you mean by "Y1" and "Y2". Three independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are y1(t)=1, [itex]y2(t)= e^t[/itex], and [itex]y3(t)= e^{2t}[/itex].

Normally, with a "right side" of t, you would try [itex]At+ B[/itex] but since t is already a solution, you should try [itex]At^2+ Bt[/itex]. Normally with [itex]e^t[/itex] on the right side, you sould try [itex]Ce^t[/itex] but since [itex]e^t[/itex] is already a solution, you should try [itex]Cte^t[/itex].

hunt_mat usually gives very good responses but he may have been overly sleepy here. I can see no reason to include third or fourth power and certainly no reason to combine "x" and "t"!

hunt_mat
Jul19-11, 07:33 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,583
Initial Value Problem

I was thinking that the third derivative of t^4 would contribute to the t term on the RHS. I got my x's and t's mixed up and i have now corrected it. It should all come out in the wash anyway (I think, it's been some years since I looked at equations such as these)
newtomath
Jul20-11, 02:11 PM
P: 37
Thanks. sorry for the confusion, by y1 and y 2 I meant the "right side" of t( at^2 +bt + Cte^t)

Register to reply