Is My Approach to Solving the 3rd Order IVP Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a 3rd order IVP with the equation y''' -3y'' +2y' = t + e^t and initial conditions y(0)=1, y'(0)= -.25, y''(0)= -1.5. The person asks if using At^2 and B*e^t *t as Y1 and Y2 is correct, and suggests trying f(t)=At^{4}+Bt^{3}+Ct^{2}+Dt +E +Fe^{t} as the particular integral. Another person clarifies that the solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are y1
newtomath
a 3rd order IVP I am havin trouble with:

y''' -3y'' +2y' = t + e^t y(0)=1, y'(0)= -.25 y''(0)= -1.5

I am using At^2 and B*e^t *t as my Y1 and Y2. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you were helped with the complimentary solution, for the particular integral I would try the function [itex]f(t)=At^{4}+Bt^{3}+Ct^{2}+Dt +E +Fe^{t}[/itex]

Last edited:
I have no clue what you mean by "Y1" and "Y2". Three independent solutions to the associated homogeneous equation are y1(t)=1, [itex]y2(t)= e^t[/itex], and [itex]y3(t)= e^{2t}[/itex].

Normally, with a "right side" of t, you would try [itex]At+ B[/itex] but since t is already a solution, you should try [itex]At^2+ Bt[/itex]. Normally with [itex]e^t[/itex] on the right side, you sould try [itex]Ce^t[/itex] but since [itex]e^t[/itex] is already a solution, you should try [itex]Cte^t[/itex].

hunt_mat usually gives very good responses but he may have been overly sleepy here. I can see no reason to include third or fourth power and certainly no reason to combine "x" and "t"!

I was thinking that the third derivative of t^4 would contribute to the t term on the RHS. I got my x's and t's mixed up and i have now corrected it. It should all come out in the wash anyway (I think, it's been some years since I looked at equations such as these)

Thanks. sorry for the confusion, by y1 and y 2 I meant the "right side" of t( at^2 +bt + Cte^t)

1. What is an Initial Value Problem?

An Initial Value Problem (IVP) is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a differential equation or system of differential equations, given an initial condition. The initial condition specifies the values of the dependent variables at a particular starting point, which is usually denoted by the variable t.

2. What is the significance of an Initial Value Problem?

An IVP is important because it helps us understand how a system changes over time. By solving the IVP, we can determine the behavior of the system at any point in time, given its initial conditions. This is useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where systems are constantly evolving and changing.

3. How is an Initial Value Problem solved?

To solve an IVP, we use mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and Euler's method. These methods allow us to find a general solution to the differential equation and then use the initial condition to determine the specific solution for the given starting point.

4. What types of differential equations can be solved using an Initial Value Problem?

An IVP can be used to solve any type of ordinary differential equation (ODE), which is a type of differential equation that involves only one independent variable. This includes first-order and higher-order ODEs, as well as systems of ODEs.

5. Are there any limitations to using an Initial Value Problem?

One limitation of using an IVP is that it can only be used for systems that are deterministic, meaning that the future behavior of the system is completely determined by its initial conditions. Additionally, an IVP may not always have a unique solution, and it may be difficult or impossible to solve analytically for certain types of differential equations.