Must there be dark time?

by geelsu
Tags: dark, time
MrGodParticle
Jan24-12, 09:05 PM
P: 3
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
I do not wish to be rude, but you seem to be tossing out words in ways that have no relevance to actual physics, just because the word "dark" has other connotations in the English language and makes them seem simlar if you have no idea what they mean in physics.

I see you are new here, so probably you have misunderstood the purpose of this forum. Folks here are very friendly and get quite lighthearted sometimes, but basically this is a serious physics forum and just tossing out poorly formed statements is not really a good idea.
Actually, not to be rude but i got the "dark fluid" portion of my response from this forum. So go burn the individual that provided that information. Also i did not misunderstand the purpose of this forum, but thank you for your concern.
salvestrom
Jan24-12, 09:15 PM
P: 226
Quote Quote by MrGodParticle View Post
Actually, not to be rude but i got the "dark fluid" portion of my response from this forum. So go burn the individual that provided that information. Also i did not misunderstand the purpose of this forum, but thank you for your concern.
/cough... that was me. I did specify, however, it was from a paper, possibly not even published.
shifty88
Jan25-12, 08:44 AM
P: 53
i think op means night time.
phinds
Jan25-12, 09:10 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,720
Quote Quote by shifty88 View Post
i think op means night time.
Well, you might want to think some more. In the context of this thread, it's pretty clear he's not talking about night.
shifty88
Jan25-12, 10:09 AM
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
Well, you might want to think some more. In the context of this thread, it's pretty clear he's not talking about night.
I must point out that i was making a joke, he obviously doesn't mean night time... what's wrong with you.
I have no idea what 'dark time' could be or why physics would require the concept of dark time to begin with.

Even the Op doesn't know what he's on about.
phinds
Jan25-12, 10:21 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,720
I must point out that i was making a joke, he obviously doesn't mean night time... what's wrong with you.
I have no idea what 'dark time' could be or why physics would require the concept of dark time to begin with.

DOH !

I was in a foul mood this morning and my sense of humor hadn't kicked in. Apologies.
shifty88
Jan25-12, 10:24 AM
no apologies necessary. Just thought i should point out i'm not a total dunce :D
salvestrom
Jan25-12, 01:47 PM

I think the OP's intent is to suggest a time-related phenomenon, as yet undiscovered. If energy and matter both have poorly understood dark cousins, there's no need to assume that dark time neither exists or doesn't, or to ignore it. Who knows, a postulation about an unknown time effect might turn out to be quite testable. Time dilation was.
shifty88
Jan25-12, 02:19 PM
As far as I am aware Dark matter was thought up after the discovery that there isn't enough mass in galaxies to hold them together.
Dark energy was used to explain the acceleration of the expansion of space.

What odd unexplainable observations are their that would need a theory like dark time.
None that I know of, which doesn't rule out the possibility, it doesn't seem like science to me
salvestrom
Jan25-12, 02:27 PM
As far as I am aware Dark matter was thought up after the discovery that there isn't enough mass in galaxies to hold them together.
Dark energy was used to explain the acceleration of the expansion of space.

What odd unexplainable observations are their that would need a theory like dark time.
None that I know of, which doesn't rule out the possibility, it doesn't seem like science to me
Your statement about dark matter is absolutely correct, of course, but the point is that until 1970's they didn't even know there was something odd about the rotational speed of galaxies. Who knows what odd things are as yet unobserved. I agree, though, that there are no known unknowns that might be explained by some new, odd behaviour of time.
Oldfart
Jan25-12, 03:00 PM
P: 191
Quote Quote by salvestrom View Post
Your statement about dark matter is absolutely correct, of course, but the point is that until 1970's they didn't even know there was something odd about the rotational speed of galaxies. Who knows what odd things are as yet unobserved. I agree, though, that there are no known unknowns that might be explained by some new, odd behaviour of time.
What? By any reasonable measure, cosmology's greatest all-time unknown involves T=0, at the start of the universe. If dark time (or whatever you want to call it) theory could explain how the universe came to exist without having a beginning, it would surely represent mankind's crowning scientific achievement. Loop quantum time, anyone?
salvestrom
Jan25-12, 03:14 PM
Quote Quote by Oldfart View Post
What? By any reasonable measure, cosmology's greatest all-time unknown involves T=0, at the start of the universe. If dark time (or whatever you want to call it) theory could explain how the universe came to exist without having a beginning, it would surely represent mankind's crowning scientific achievement. Loop quantum time, anyone?
Well, there you go. Case closed. T=0 is dark time, because we haven't the faintest idea what happened or where it came from. In fairness we already have a name for that. Time. I feel kinda silly at the moment 'cause I've spent alot of mental energy lately considering Time and what happened at 0 of it.
shifty88
Jan25-12, 03:25 PM
I feel silly too.

Register to reply