Applied Physics OR Physics OR Insert Better Option Here

by generalisteng
Tags: applied, insert, option, physics
generalisteng
Jan31-12, 06:35 AM
P: 1
Hey,
This is my first post on here, but I've been browsing PF for years now.

I'm in a bit of a snag. I'm starting as a freshman in college this fall, and I'm not exactly sure what subject I can major in that will satisfy my interests. Basically I'm really interested in every field of engineering, from mechanical to electrical. I read a lot of Iron Man as a kid, so I sort of developed that interest in building things irrespective of domain. My current engineering professor says that it's best if I major in Physics in undergrad and get the theory out of the way and then get an engineering masters. Do you agree? I want to be involved in Electric Power, Artificial Intelligence, Mechanics, and a slew of other stuff (DW I'm not day dreaming, I know just how much work it would take), and I don't have a problem studying certain things by myself, so I was thinking I take the Applied Physics track at my school. Does this seem like a better idea than majoring in Physics?

Sorry if my post doesn't follow a logical sequence, I'm a bit off it at 7 in the morning lol

Thank you

PS, Here are the Course Structures for each major if you'd like a better idea

Applied Physics
http://bulletin.engineering.columbia...-degree-tracks

Physics
http://www.college.columbia.edu/bull....php?tab=ugrad
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior

Register to reply