Applied Physics OR Physics OR Insert Better Option Here

In summary, the speaker is a freshman in college who is interested in various fields of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, and artificial intelligence. They are unsure of which major to pursue and are considering majoring in Physics with an engineering masters or taking the Applied Physics track. The speaker is seeking advice and considering their personal preferences and career goals before making a decision. They are also open to exploring different classes and talking to others for more information.
generalisteng
Hey,
This is my first post on here, but I've been browsing PF for years now.

I'm in a bit of a snag. I'm starting as a freshman in college this fall, and I'm not exactly sure what subject I can major in that will satisfy my interests. Basically I'm really interested in every field of engineering, from mechanical to electrical. I read a lot of Iron Man as a kid, so I sort of developed that interest in building things irrespective of domain. My current engineering professor says that it's best if I major in Physics in undergrad and get the theory out of the way and then get an engineering masters. Do you agree? I want to be involved in Electric Power, Artificial Intelligence, Mechanics, and a slew of other stuff (DW I'm not day dreaming, I know just how much work it would take), and I don't have a problem studying certain things by myself, so I was thinking I take the Applied Physics track at my school. Does this seem like a better idea than majoring in Physics?

Sorry if my post doesn't follow a logical sequence, I'm a bit off it at 7 in the morning lol

Thank you

PS, Here are the Course Structures for each major if you'd like a better idea

Applied Physics
http://bulletin.engineering.columbia.edu/undergraduate-degree-tracks

Physics
http://www.college.columbia.edu/bulletin/depts/physics.php?tab=ugrad

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It's great to hear that you have such a wide range of interests in engineering. It's always a good idea to explore different fields before deciding on a major, so don't worry if you're not sure yet.

In terms of your question, I would say it really depends on your personal preferences and career goals. If you are more interested in the theoretical aspects of engineering and want to pursue a career in research, then majoring in Physics and getting an engineering masters could be a good option. However, if you are more interested in practical applications and want to work in industry, then majoring in Applied Physics may be a better fit.

Additionally, you should also consider the course structures of each major and see which one aligns more with your interests and career goals. You can also speak to upperclassmen or professionals in the field to get a better understanding of the differences between the two majors.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a major that you are passionate about and will enjoy studying. Don't be afraid to explore and try out different classes before making a decision. Best of luck in your freshman year!

1. What is the difference between applied physics and general physics?

Applied physics is the application of physical principles to solve real-world problems, while general physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of nature.

2. What are some examples of applications of applied physics?

Applied physics has various applications, such as developing new technologies in fields like aerospace, energy, and healthcare, designing efficient and sustainable structures and materials, and improving communication and transportation systems.

3. What skills are necessary to study applied physics?

To study applied physics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and a curiosity for understanding how things work. Knowledge in other sciences, such as chemistry and biology, may also be helpful.

4. Can someone with a degree in applied physics pursue a career in a different field?

Yes, a degree in applied physics can lead to various career paths, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, and teaching, in a wide range of industries such as technology, healthcare, and finance.

5. What are the current areas of research in applied physics?

Some current areas of research in applied physics include quantum technologies, renewable energy, nanotechnology, and biophysics. There is also ongoing research in areas such as fluid dynamics, materials science, and optics.