Admission on EE in Caltech / Berkeley

In summary, a university degree in physics will not guarantee admission to a graduate program in engineering or computer science, but it will improve one's chances. If you are seeking funding, it is better to apply to a PhD program.
zhaniko93
I am undergraduate first-year student from Georgia (country, not state of US). I am planning to continue learning in caltech or berkeley on electronics / mechanics faculty. I have been studying physics for 2 years by МГУ program (it's beside university), which used to be the best physics program in Soviet Union. My question is, will it do any good to continue learning physics beside university? I mean, will it affect chances of my financial aid or application to have completed physics GRE subject test or to have done any work in physics? I'm planning to take subject tests in math / Computer sciences.

Physics news on Phys.org
When it comes to engineering there is generally NEVER "TOO MUCH" math or science you can learn before engineering school.

However, it may or may not help to get too far ahead of where everyone else will be.

I'd look at the online information at Berkeley or Cal Tech and see what the engineering program requirements are and also what the degree course work entails. Be aware they often will let you "test out" of course you've already taken if you pass a test but they don't usually let you test out of more than Freshman year courses. Exceptions sometimes are made but you usually but get specific permission from the Dean of the school.

Best of luck in your school applications and career!

Thanks jsgruszynski.
I know that it won't be "too much", but I'm planning to apply for masters degree there, and now I'm learning advanced physics + EE + computer sciences + a lot of math. As I have no time left for anything else, I am wondering if it's better to give up physics and spend more time on EE / CS. To sum up, will advanced knowledge of physics increase my chances of being applied & financial aid? How much GRE subject tests are required there?

Consider that I am about to start an undergraduate degree myself, so can only provide insight to the extent that a prospective undergrad in sciences & math, who has read a fair amount, would know.

In general, when one is admitted to a graduate program, the tuition fees are waived. Further, they are awarded a stipend for their living expenses in the form of a fellowship, a teaching assistantship (where one would teach undergraduates) or a research assistantship (where one would conduct some kind of research).

MS degrees are usually *not* funded. If one is seeking funding, it is better if one is to apply and enrol in a PhD program. For PhD programs, the prerequisite is a bachelor's degree and usually, the general GRE test and the GRE test in the appropriate subject. The PhD program consists of coursework for 1-2 years, followed by research, writing and defense of the PhD thesis.

There are no GRE cut-offs as far as I'm aware but as a general rule, the more selective the program, the higher your scores should be but your mileage may vary.

For one to be a competitive applicant, one must have very good grades and have some research experience. I do not know much about engineering or computer science but the following websites might give you an indication of the profiles of physics and mathematics applicants for PhD programs.

www.physicsgre.com
www.mathematicsgre.com

I should again stress that all of the above is only information that I have amassed on this forum, other similar forums and the websites of American universities, over the past year and a half or so. Nothing will be more accurate than what the departments you are interested in say to you. I would suggest you e-mail the schools you are interested in if you have any questions of a more specific nature.

I am not familiar with the Georgian university system and I would suspect that not many on these boards would know much, if at all, either. Do you know if you would be eligible to apply directly to a PhD in the states with your degree? Do e-mail them to confirm! (or search their website, for some schools *may* have information that is specific to Georgian candidates)

First of all, congratulations on your interest in pursuing a degree in electronics or mechanics at Caltech or Berkeley! These are both highly reputable institutions with strong programs in these fields.

To answer your question, completing additional coursework or exams in physics can definitely enhance your application and increase your chances of receiving financial aid. Admissions committees at top universities often look for well-rounded applicants who have a strong foundation in their chosen field of study. By completing additional coursework in physics, you are demonstrating your dedication and passion for the subject, which can make you a more competitive applicant.

Additionally, taking the physics GRE subject test can also strengthen your application. It shows that you have a solid understanding of the subject and can perform well on standardized exams. This can be particularly beneficial if your undergraduate program does not have a strong focus on physics, as it can help to offset any potential weaknesses in that area.

As for financial aid, having a strong academic background in physics can make you a more attractive candidate for scholarships and grants. Many universities have specific funds and awards for students in STEM fields, and having a strong background in physics can make you a strong candidate for these opportunities.

In terms of your plans to take subject tests in math and computer sciences, these can also be beneficial for your application to Caltech or Berkeley. These fields are closely related to electronics and mechanics, and having a strong foundation in them can demonstrate your potential for success in these areas.

In summary, continuing to learn and excel in physics can certainly have a positive impact on your application and chances for financial aid at top universities like Caltech and Berkeley. I wish you all the best in your academic pursuits!

1. What are the requirements for admission to Caltech / Berkeley's EE program?

The specific requirements for admission to Caltech / Berkeley's EE program may vary each year, but generally include a strong academic record in math and science courses, high standardized test scores (SAT or ACT), letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement. It is also important to have a strong background in subjects related to electrical engineering, such as physics and computer science.

2. Is it necessary to have prior experience in electrical engineering to be admitted to these programs?

No, it is not necessary to have prior experience in electrical engineering to be admitted to Caltech / Berkeley's EE program. However, having a strong foundation in math and science courses, as well as a passion for the subject, can greatly increase your chances of being admitted.

3. Are there any specific GPA or test score requirements for admission?

Caltech / Berkeley do not have a specific minimum GPA or test score requirement for admission to their EE programs. However, the average GPA of admitted students is usually around 3.9 and the average SAT score is around 1500. It is important to note that these numbers may vary each year and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.

4. Can I transfer to Caltech / Berkeley as an EE major from another university?

It is possible to transfer to Caltech / Berkeley as an EE major, but it is a highly competitive process. Transfer applicants are expected to have completed a similar set of courses as students at Caltech / Berkeley and have a strong academic record. It is recommended to speak with an admissions counselor at the university to determine the specific requirements for transfer students.

5. Is there any financial aid available for EE students at Caltech / Berkeley?

Both Caltech and Berkeley offer financial aid packages for their EE students, including scholarships, grants, and loans. It is important to fill out the necessary forms and applications for financial aid in a timely manner. Additionally, both universities offer work-study programs and opportunities for students to work on campus to help cover the cost of tuition.