Holomorphic on C

by fauboca
Tags: holomorphic
fauboca
Feb21-12, 09:45 AM
P: 159
Suppose [itex]f : \mathbb{C}\to \mathbb{C}[/itex] is continuous everywhere, and is holomorphic at every point except possibly the points in the interval [itex][2, 5][/itex] on the real axis. Prove that f must be holomorphic at every point of C.

How can I go from f being holomorphic every except that interval to showing it is holomorphic at that interval? I am assuming it has to be due to continuity.

But there are continuous functions that aren't differentiable every where.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Internet co-creator Cerf debunks 'myth' that US runs it
Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in Hubble archive
Solar-powered two-seat Sunseeker airplane has progress report
morphism
Feb21-12, 12:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
One approach is to use Morera's theorem.
fauboca
Feb21-12, 12:26 PM
Quote Quote by morphism View Post
One approach is to use Morera's theorem.
I haven't learned that Theorem yet. Is there another approach.

morphism
Feb21-12, 12:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper

Holomorphic on C

Yes, but it's tricky. The key idea is that if you can find a holomorphic function [itex]g \colon \mathbb C \to \mathbb C[/itex] that agrees with f everywhere except possibly on [2,5], then g must in fact agree with f on [2,5] too (why?), so f must be holomorphic on all of C because g is. But now, how does one find such a g? Do you have any ideas?
fauboca
Feb21-12, 12:42 PM
Yes, but it's tricky. The key idea is that if you can find a holomorphic function [itex]g \colon \mathbb C \to \mathbb C[/itex] that agrees with f everywhere except possibly on [2,5], then g must in fact agree with f on [2,5] too (why?), so f must be holomorphic on all of C because g is. But now, how does one find such a g? Do you have any ideas?
This is just a guess but let g be a primitive of f.
morphism
Feb21-12, 12:44 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
That's not a bad idea. Could you spell it out a bit more?
fauboca
Feb21-12, 12:47 PM
That's not a bad idea. Could you spell it out a bit more?
If g is a primitive of f, then [itex]g' = f[/itex]. As long as f is on an open set which is the case here.
morphism
Feb21-12, 12:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
But how is g defined on [2,5]?

I have to run so I'll leave you with a hint:

Let [itex]C = \{ z \in \mathbb C \mid |z-3.5| < 1 \}[/itex] and define [itex]g(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_C \frac{f(w)}{w-z} dw[/itex] in C. Try to show that f and g agree off of [2,5].
fauboca
Feb21-12, 03:19 PM
But how is g defined on [2,5]?

I have to run so I'll leave you with a hint:

Let [itex]C = \{ z \in \mathbb C \mid |z-3.5| < 1 \}[/itex] and define [itex]g(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \int_C \frac{f(w)}{w-z} dw[/itex] in C. Try to show that f and g agree off of [2,5].
I am not sure why you center your circle at 3.5.

With our definition of g, I have a theorem from class that show f and g agree but it was only stated for one point not a set of points. We call it the Integral Transform Theorem:

Let [itex]\gamma[/itex] be any path and [itex]g:\gamma\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] be continuous. Define for all [itex]z \notin \gamma[/itex]
[tex]G(z) = \int_{\gamma}\frac{g(u)}{u-z}du[/tex].
Then [itex]G(z)[/itex] is analytic at every point [itex]z_0\notin\gamma[/itex].

Then our corollary to it
If [itex]f:\gamma\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] is holomorphic and [itex]\gamma[/itex] is inside a disc on which f is holomorphic and which [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a circle, then for all z we get
$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma}\frac{f(u)}{u-z}du
$$
and so f is analytic for all z inside gamma.
morphism
Feb21-12, 03:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by fauboca View Post
I am not sure why you center your circle at 3.5.
The radius should have been 1.5 and not 1. I basically wanted a circle centered on the real axis with [2,5] as a diameter. (Now that I think about it a bit more, the radius should probably be 1.5+0.01 (the small increment is to ensure that [2,5] is contained in the interior of C). But this doesn't matter much.)

With our definition of g, I have a theorem from class that show f and g agree but it was only stated for one point not a set of points. We call it the Integral Transform Theorem:

Let [itex]\gamma[/itex] be any path and [itex]g:\gamma\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] be continuous. Define for all [itex]z \notin \gamma[/itex]
[tex]G(z) = \int_{\gamma}\frac{g(u)}{u-z}du[/tex].
Then [itex]G(z)[/itex] is analytic at every point [itex]z_0\notin\gamma[/itex].

Then our corollary to it
If [itex]f:\gamma\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] is holomorphic and [itex]\gamma[/itex] is inside a disc on which f is holomorphic and which [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a circle, then for all z we get
$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{\gamma}\frac{f(u)}{u-z}du
$$
and so f is analytic for all z inside gamma.
You will need to modify the corollary a bit to conclude that f and g agree for all points inside C but not on [2,5].
fauboca
Feb21-12, 03:51 PM
The radius should have been 1.5 and not 1. I basically wanted a circle centered on the real axis with with [2,5] as a diameter. (Now that I think about it a bit more, the radius should probably be 1.5+0.01 (the small increment is to ensure that [2,5] is contained in the interior of C).)

You will need to modify the corollary a bit to conclude that f and g agree for all points inside C but not on [2,5].
I am not sure how to alter the corollary besides saying we can run this process for all real numbers in [2,5] where each f* agrees with f.

Also, we were told today that we have proven Morera's Theorem but just didn't name it before. So we could use that as well then.
morphism
Feb21-12, 03:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
I am not sure how to alter the corollary besides saying we can run this process for all real numbers in [2,5] where each f* agrees with f.
The corollary requires f to be holomorphic inside [itex]\gamma[/itex]. But if [itex]\gamma=C[/itex], we run into problems, because we don't know if f is holomorphic on [2,5].
fauboca
Feb21-12, 04:07 PM
The corollary requires f to be holomorphic inside [itex]\gamma[/itex]. But if [itex]\gamma=C[/itex], we run into problems, because we don't know if f is holomorphic on [2,5].
For now, can we say by the Integral Transform Theorem, we know g and f agree on all the points out side of C?

I am still not sure then how to get the points inside C but not on [2,5]
morphism
Feb21-12, 04:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Let's not even concern ourselves with points outside of C. All that matters is stuff inside of C.

The problem with your corollary is that it requires that [itex]\gamma[/itex] be a circle, but really any simple closed curve works.
fauboca
Feb21-12, 04:18 PM
Let's not even concern ourselves with points outside of C. All that matters is stuff inside of C.

The problem with your corollary is that it requires that [itex]\gamma[/itex] be a circle, but really any simple closed curve works.
The definition of C you provided is a circle. Since [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] is open, there is an open disc around C. So using that definition, we would have inside C is analytic.
morphism
Feb21-12, 04:22 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
The definition of C you provided is a circle. Since [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] is open, there is an open disc around C. So using that definition, we would have inside C is analytic.
Yes, g is analytic inside C. But we don't know that f is. And your corollary doesn't show that f=g inside C (but off of [2,5]), which is really what we want to show. So the corollary has to be tweaked to show that f=g inside C (but off of [2,5]).
fauboca
Feb21-12, 04:26 PM
Yes, g is analytic inside C. But we don't know that f is. And your corollary doesn't show that f=g inside C (but off of [2,5]), which is really what we want to show. So the corollary has to be tweaked to show that f=g inside C (but off of [2,5]).
Does it have to do with the winding number?
morphism
Feb21-12, 04:35 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Does it have to do with the winding number?
Not really. It has to do with allowing more general [itex]\gamma[/itex] instead of just circles.

Like I said in an earlier post, this approach is tricky. Morera's theorem is definitely the way to go here.

Register to reply