Did drinking in college affect your grades negatively?

by xdrgnh
Tags: affect, college, drinking, grades, negatively
xdrgnh
Feb9-12, 09:25 PM
P: 306
To those of you who did drink in college would you say that drinking affected your grades negatively. I'm asking because I know some people who drink but not often and they still get good grades. I also know some people who waste all of there time drinking and need to cheat to get good grades. What was your experience?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
wukunlin
Feb9-12, 09:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 340
I study when I'm supposed to study, and flush my brains out with alcohol during holidays
Pengwuino
Feb9-12, 10:24 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Quote Quote by xdrgnh View Post
To those of you who did drink in college would you say that drinking affected your grades negatively. I'm asking because I know some people who drink but not often and they still get good grades. I also know some people who waste all of there time drinking and need to cheat to get good grades. What was your experience?
I never drank but I've known people throughout the spectrum. You can drink without having it affect your grades. There are also people who go overboard and flunk out of college and everything in between.

Borg
Feb10-12, 03:54 AM
PF Gold
P: 728

Did drinking in college affect your grades negatively?

There was a bar near my college that had some very unique mugs displayed on a shelf. I later found out that they were awarded to customers who took ten years to graduate. I actually knew one guy that took that long but his excuse was that he kept changing majors every time that he got close to completing a degree.
jim hardy
Feb10-12, 09:21 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,138
i would say i did myself harm that i did not understand until my late forties..

if it becomes an escape mechanism - watch out.
Dembadon
Feb10-12, 10:14 AM
PF Gold
P: 638
I don't drink during the semester because I feel it negatively affects my performance, however slight. Since I enjoy the taste of beer so much, I've gotten non-alcoholic versions before just to whet the ol' whistle.

I tell myself I'll have a beer or two when I get "caught-up," but in reality, even when I'm done with all my homework that's due, there's always more to understand and I'd feel guilty about not studying. So, I don't ever really feel like I'm caught-up.
SHISHKABOB
Feb10-12, 11:22 AM
P: 615
I never drink, but I get mediocre grades anyways, so yeah
DaveC426913
Feb10-12, 12:00 PM
P: 15,325
Drinking will not affect your grades (unless you study while drunk or try to take an exam while drunk).

But excessive drinking is certainly associated with irresponsible, partying behavior, which is associated with not studying, not going to classes, and eating and sleeping poorly.

In other words, excessive drinking affecting grades is a symptom of an overarching behavioral issue.

If a susceptible person were denied drink (voluntarily or involuntarily), that does not mean they would not find 19 other ways to engage in bad habits that affect their grades.
JDStupi
Feb12-12, 12:56 AM
P: 111
I think you said it all in your first post. Some drink too much and ruin things and neglect important responsibilities or rationalize their mediocrity while some can do it occassionally and be fine. As with most things, moderation is key and moderation is about achieving your own personal balance or equilibrium. One man's moderate drinking may be anothers downfall. It is all about what you tihnk you can control and how you can regulate it.
Ivan Seeking
Feb12-12, 01:23 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Just a few sessions of heavy drinking can damage someone's ability to pay attention, remember things and make good judgments, research shows...

"From this research we can infer that humans who have a few heavy drinking sessions in a row may sometimes undergo subtle brain changes which make it harder to learn from mistakes and to learn new ways of tackling problems because their brain function has been subtly impaired."

The research also suggests that loss of brain function in people under 20 brought on by binge drinking increases their chances of becoming alcoholics in later life, Chick added...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...n-damage-study
cristo
Feb12-12, 04:09 AM
Mentor
P: 8,287
Quote Quote by xdrgnh View Post
To those of you who did drink in college would you say that drinking affected your grades negatively.
It's important to have a work-life balance while in university so, no, I don't think drinking affected my grades.
mdemonion
Feb17-12, 06:26 AM
P: 10
I don't think so that drinking affect grades negatively...Drinking has no relation with grades..It doesn't affect on your grade whether you drank or not..
gravenewworld
Feb17-12, 08:45 AM
P: 1,389
Not at all. My best semesters where junior and senior years, and trust me, I definitely drank my fair share in college. I went on Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat some weeks. Amazes me now how I used to do it.
rootX
Feb17-12, 05:53 PM
P: 1,295
Quote Quote by cristo View Post
It's important to have a work-life balance while in university so, no, I don't think drinking affected my grades.
You don't need alcohol to have work-life balance.
chaoseverlasting
Feb21-12, 02:31 PM
P: 1,017
Drinking and grades are two separate things. There is no correlation between them afaik.
Pengwuino
Feb21-12, 02:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Quote Quote by chaoseverlasting View Post
Drinking and grades are two separate things. There is no correlation between them afaik.
Walk into a test drunk and show me how well that theory works out
dlgoff
Feb21-12, 05:26 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,632
When I was a sophomore walking to speech class, after a weekend of beer drinking, and I couldn't remember the speech I was to give. I quit drinking from that day for 9 years.

Affect grades? Hell yes.
Hobin
Feb23-12, 03:25 AM
P: 194
Quote Quote by dlgoff
Affect grades? Hell yes.
Out of curiosity, what grade did you get for that eloquent speech of yours?

Quote Quote by thinkhigh View Post
First Of All I want to tell you that drinking is another thing and grades is another thing, co relation is impossible between them.
I presume you wrote that while drunk?

As for my opinion... I've had a single beer in my life, and found it disgusting. There are plenty of people who swear it's something you have to 'learn' to like, but I don't really see any reason to. A good wine, on the other hand... But, no, I've never been drunk. I think.

Register to reply