Register to reply

How do qualitaitve analysis work?

by jd12345
Tags: analysis, qualitaitve, work
Share this thread:
jd12345
Apr12-12, 11:38 AM
P: 260
I usually see a specific functional group is reacted with a transition metal to forma complex producing bright colours - and we distinguish groups based on such reactions and colours

But the complex will be formed with any nucleophile ( ligand ) right?. Example:- cerric ammonium test is done for alcohols. IT forms a complex with alcohol as the the -OH group acts as a ligand producing red colour.
But this red colour will be formed with any nucleophile as any other ligand can form the complex.

Same with other functional groups. I dont see how complex formation distinguishes these functional groups
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Synthesis produces new antibiotic: Scientists confirm potent synthesis of natural tetracycline
Scientists learn to control reactions with the shape of a rare-earth catalyst
Protein glue shows potential for use with biomaterials
Borek
Apr13-12, 02:21 AM
Admin
P: 23,578
Different ligands produce different colors (please read about crystal field theory), correctly selecting the transition metal and conditions it is possible to make the reaction quite specific.

But I suppose false positives are possible in some cases.

Register to reply