Abstract algebra functions.

by mtayab1994
Tags: abstract, algebra, functions
Share this thread:
mtayab1994
Apr30-12, 03:20 PM
P: 584
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f is a quadratic function from the second degree and [tex]f(a)=bc;f(b)=ac;f(c)=ab[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Calculate : [tex]f(a+b+c)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Can we say that [tex]f(a+b+c)=f(a)+f(b)+f(c)[/tex] and the go on from there plugging in the values of each one are do i have to do something else?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Mark44
Apr30-12, 03:44 PM
Mentor
P: 21,400
Quote Quote by mtayab1994 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f is a quadratic function from the second degree and [tex]f(a)=bc;f(b)=ac;f(c)=ab[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Calculate : [tex]f(a+b+c)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Can we say that [tex]f(a+b+c)=f(a)+f(b)+f(c)[/tex] and the go on from there plugging in the values of each one are do i have to do something else?
No, you can't do that. You haven't used the fact that f is a quadratic function. You know what that means, right?
mtayab1994
Apr30-12, 07:01 PM
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
No, you can't do that. You haven't used the fact that f is a quadratic function. You know what that means, right?
What do you mean a quadratic function to the second degree is written in the form ax^2+bx+c that's correct right?

Mark44
Apr30-12, 07:11 PM
Mentor
Abstract algebra functions.

What do you mean a quadratic function to the second degree is written in the form ax^2+bx+c that's correct right?
Yes. Note that "quadratic function to the second degree" is redundant. Quadratic means "squared".

So f(x) = ax2 + bx + c.
SammyS
Apr30-12, 07:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,819
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
Yes. Note that "quadratic function to the second degree" is redundant. Quadratic means "squared".

So f(x) = ax2 + bx + c.
Of course, for your function, you will want to different variable names for your coefficients, perhaps:
[itex]\displaystyle f(x)=Dx^2+Ex+G[/itex]
Are you sure you aren't working with a more limited form of a quadratic? ... It's possible that is the case due to the relationships that were stated.
Mark44
Apr30-12, 08:05 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by SammyS View Post
Of course, for your function, you will want to different variable names for your coefficients, perhaps:
That ambiguity occurred to me, too, but I'm leaning toward the view that a, b, and c in the problem description are the same as the coefficients of the terms in the quadratic. I could be wrong, though.

Are you sure you aren't working with a more limited form of a quadratic? ... It's possible that is the case due to the relationships that were stated.
mtayab1994
May1-12, 04:14 AM
Yes i could work with other variables too say alpha β or gamma. And the a,b,and c have nothing to do with the form of the quadratic equation itself.
SammyS
May1-12, 09:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Yes i could work with other variables too say alpha β or gamma. And the a,b,and c have nothing to do with the form of the quadratic equation itself.
Letting [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=Dx^2+Ex+G[/itex], you might look at [itex]\displaystyle f(a)-f(b)[/itex] for instance.
[itex]\displaystyle f(a)-f(b)=bc-ac[/itex]
which becomes
[itex]\displaystyle Da^2+Ea+G-Db^2-Eb-G=c(b-a)[/itex]
A little algebra will give a relationship between the constants D & E and the quantities a+b and c.

That will eliminate the constant, G.

BTW: What course is this for ?
mtayab1994
May1-12, 02:29 PM
Letting [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=Dx^2+Ex+G[/itex], you might look at [itex]\displaystyle f(a)-f(b)[/itex] for instance.
[itex]\displaystyle f(a)-f(b)=bc-ac[/itex]
which becomes
[itex]\displaystyle Da^2+Ea+G-Db^2-Eb-G=c(b-a)[/itex]
A little algebra will give a relationship between the constants D & E and the quantities a+b and c.

That will eliminate the constant, G.

BTW: What course is this for ?
I'm a junior in high school in Morocco, and this is a problem our teacher gave us and told us think about it.
mtayab1994
May1-12, 02:41 PM
Ok so this is what i got:

[tex]f(a+b+c)=Da^{2}+Ea+G+Db^{2}+Db+G+Dc^{2}+Dc+G[/tex] then you factor it out and you get:

[tex]D(a^{2}+b^{2}+c^{2})+E(a+b+c)+3G=c(a+b)+ab[/tex]

Now can we use substitution for a+b+c or what from here on?
SammyS
May1-12, 11:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Ok so this is what i got:

[tex]f(a+b+c)=Da^{2}+Ea+G+Db^{2}+Db+G+Dc^{2}+Dc+G[/tex] then you factor it out and you get:

[tex]D(a^{2}+b^{2}+c^{2})+E(a+b+c)+3G=c(a+b)+ab[/tex]

Now can we use substitution for a+b+c or what from here on?
No. You're still treating this as if [itex]\displaystyle f(a+b+c)=f(a)+f(b)+f(c)\,,[/itex] which is definitely not the case.

[itex]\displaystyle f(a+b+c)=D(a+b+c)^2+E(a+b+c)+G[/itex]

and of course,
[itex]\displaystyle (a+b+c)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2+2bc+c^2+2ac\ .[/itex]

Etc.
mtayab1994
May2-12, 05:47 AM
No. You're still treating this as if [itex]\displaystyle f(a+b+c)=f(a)+f(b)+f(c)\,,[/itex] which is definitely not the case.

[itex]\displaystyle f(a+b+c)=D(a+b+c)^2+E(a+b+c)+G[/itex]

and of course,
[itex]\displaystyle (a+b+c)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2+2bc+c^2+2ac\ .[/itex]

Etc.
Yea i solved it . Thank you for your help.
SammyS
May2-12, 09:54 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Yea i solved it . Thank you for your help.
What was your result ?

Register to reply