How do I use syngas to power a car?

• Automotive
  • Thread starter Ulyaoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of using a biomass system to run a car using syngas from a gasifier. The person is having trouble finding sources on how to actually implement this and asks for any experience or links from others. The suggestion is made to google syngas and follow the links for more information.
Ulyaoth
I'm doing a report on ways to use a biomass system we're working on. My professor wanted me to look into using the syngas from the gasifier to run a car. I'm just having trouble finding sources on what you need to actually do to use the syngas for an engine. I've been searching all day and the best I could find is that you have to install a pressurized gas tank, run the gas into the fuel injectors, and do some other things to valves and other parts that weren't described. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience or knowledge of this or any links. I was thinking I could just consider it the same as a natural gas conversion but the site for the gasifier itself says syngas has special considerations but didn't give what differences you need to do.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you Googled syngas and followed the links? It is highly unlikely that anybody here who has relevant experience would would take the time to write you an on-line tutorial about it. Just a suggestion.

1. What is syngas and how is it produced?

Syngas, short for synthesis gas, is a flammable gas mixture primarily made up of carbon monoxide, hydrogen, and carbon dioxide. It is produced through a process called gasification, in which organic materials such as coal, biomass, or waste are heated in a low-oxygen environment to break down their molecules into syngas.

2. Can syngas be used to run a car?

Yes, syngas can be used as a fuel source for cars. It can be used in a modified internal combustion engine or in a fuel cell to power an electric motor. However, the infrastructure for producing and distributing syngas as a fuel is not yet widely available.

3. How does using syngas compare to traditional gasoline in terms of efficiency?

The efficiency of using syngas as a fuel is comparable to traditional gasoline. However, it produces fewer emissions and can be produced from renewable sources, making it a more environmentally-friendly option.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using syngas as a fuel for cars?

One potential drawback of using syngas as a fuel is the initial cost of building the necessary gasification plants. Additionally, the technology for producing and using syngas is still developing and may require further research and development.

5. Is using syngas a sustainable solution for powering cars?

Syngas can be produced from renewable sources such as biomass, making it a more sustainable option than traditional fossil fuels. However, the production of syngas still requires energy and resources, so it is not a completely sustainable solution on its own. It may be more beneficial when used in conjunction with other renewable energy sources.