How to convert flux from counts to erg.

In summary, the conversation is about translating flux information from counts/cm^2/sec to erg/cm^2/sec in a given energy band (15-50 keV). The individual suggests multiplying the number of photons by the energy of the photons and converting from keV to erg. However, upon further clarification, it is revealed that the bottom axis of the example graph is in MJD (modified julian date).
RHK
Hello everyone.
I am trying to translate the flux of a source observed by a telescope, in different units.
In my case, I have the flux equal to counts/cm^2/sec in a given energy band (15-50 keV) and I want to translate this information in erg/cm^2/sec, in the same energy band
Here you can find an example: http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/swift/results/transients/weak/GX304-1.png

Does anyone know how can I do that?

Every suggestion is really appreciated.
Ciao

Astronomy news on Phys.org
each count is just a photon with that specific energy level, so you just have to multiply the number of photons by the energy of the photons. Then of course convert from keV to erg, which just means multiplying by some conversion constants.

er wait, I think I misread the graph, sorry >.> what's on the bottom axis?

The time, in MJD (modified julian date, it is like "days").

oh, I see, I'm sorry but I thought I could help but I don't know either

To convert flux from counts to erg, you will need to use the conversion factor for the specific instrument you are using. This conversion factor can usually be found in the instrument's calibration files or in the instrument's documentation.

Once you have the conversion factor, you can use the following formula:

Flux (erg/cm^2/sec) = Counts (counts/cm^2/sec) * Conversion Factor

For example, if your instrument's conversion factor is 1.5 x 10^-9 erg/count, you would use the formula:

Flux (erg/cm^2/sec) = Counts (counts/cm^2/sec) * 1.5 x 10^-9 erg/count

In the case of the example you provided, you can see that the counts in the 15-50 keV energy band is 1.5 x 10^-9 counts/cm^2/sec. If we use the conversion factor of 1.5 x 10^-9 erg/count, we can calculate the flux in erg/cm^2/sec as:

Flux (erg/cm^2/sec) = 1.5 x 10^-9 counts/cm^2/sec * 1.5 x 10^-9 erg/count = 2.25 x 10^-18 erg/cm^2/sec

Therefore, the flux in the 15-50 keV energy band is 2.25 x 10^-18 erg/cm^2/sec.

Remember to always check your units and conversion factors to ensure an accurate and precise conversion.

1. How do you convert counts to erg?

To convert from counts to erg, you will need to use the conversion factor of 1 count = 1.6022 x 10^-9 erg. Multiply the number of counts by this conversion factor to get the equivalent value in erg.

2. What is the formula for converting flux from counts to erg?

The formula for converting flux from counts to erg is: Flux (erg) = Counts x Conversion Factor, where the conversion factor is 1.6022 x 10^-9 erg.

3. Can you provide an example of converting flux from counts to erg?

Yes, for example, if you have a flux value of 500 counts, you can convert it to erg by multiplying 500 by the conversion factor of 1.6022 x 10^-9 erg. This will give you a flux of 8.011 x 10^-7 erg.

4. Why is it important to convert flux from counts to erg?

Converting flux from counts to erg allows for a more accurate and standardized measurement of energy. Counts are a unit used in detectors, while erg is a unit used in physics and astronomy. Converting between the two units allows for easier comparison and analysis of data.

5. Is the conversion from counts to erg the same for all types of detectors?

No, the conversion factor may vary depending on the type of detector being used. It is important to check the specifications of the specific detector being used to ensure the correct conversion factor is being used for accurate measurements.