Identifying Independent and Dependent Variables

In summary, the independent variables in this experiment are the patient's condition (Epileptic or Normal) and the varying wavelengths of light. The dependent variable is the neural response. The statistical analysis is being used to determine the wavelength at which the most significant difference between the two groups is found. However, the roles of these variables may change in a different statistical model that relates neural response to wavelength in people with and without epilepsy. This model may play a crucial role in aspects of the project such as experimental design.
HAL10000
Hi, I am trying to identify the independent and dependent variables in the following experiment:

Two groups of patients (Epileptic and Normal) are exposed to varying wavelengths of light and their neural response is quantified and recorded.
I am using statistical analysis to find the wavelength at which the most significant difference between the Epileptic and Normal groups is found.

I thought that the condition of the patient (Epileptic or Normal) was the independent variable and the neural response was the dependent variable but I'm not sure whether to think of the wavelength as an independent variable or a control

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be argued that patient's condition is the "dependent" variable (aka "response variable").

If I understand correctly, the broad goal is to use neural responses to predict patient's condition, i.e. the "independent" variables (explanatory variables) are the patient's neural response - one for each wavelength, or possibly several for each wavelength. Your statistical analysis is evaluating which single variable/group leads to a classifier that performs best on the "training" data already observed where condition is known.

From this point of view, wavelength isn't really a variable - you could say it's just part of the label for each candidate explanatory variable.

However the roles of all the variables would change in another statistical model that relates neural response to wavelength in people with and without epilepsy - here the explanatory variables would be wavelength and condition, and the response variable(s) would be neural response. This model might play an important role in other aspects of the project such as experimental design.

1. What is the difference between an independent and dependent variable?

An independent variable is a variable that is manipulated or changed by the researcher in an experiment. A dependent variable is a variable that is affected by the changes in the independent variable and is measured or observed to determine the effect of the independent variable.

2. How do I identify the independent and dependent variables in an experiment?

To identify the independent variable, look for the factor that is being purposely changed or manipulated by the researcher. To identify the dependent variable, look for the factor that is being observed or measured to see the effect of the independent variable.

3. Can there be more than one independent or dependent variable in an experiment?

Yes, there can be multiple independent and dependent variables in an experiment. However, it is important to ensure that the variables are clearly defined and that their relationships are properly controlled and accounted for.

4. How do I control for extraneous variables in an experiment?

To control for extraneous variables, it is important to keep all variables constant except for the independent variable. This can be achieved through proper experimental design, random assignment, and careful measurement and observation of all variables.

5. What is the significance of identifying independent and dependent variables in research?

Identifying independent and dependent variables is crucial in research as it helps to establish a cause-and-effect relationship between variables. By manipulating and measuring these variables, researchers can determine the impact of one variable on another, which can lead to a better understanding of natural phenomena and the development of new theories and solutions.