Find out how far away the server is from just Pinging it?

• Thread starter biferi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Server
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Ping command and the results obtained from using it on Google. The TTL for each packet is given and the significance of the time it takes for the packet to go and come back is explained. It is mentioned that there is no strict correlation between the ping number and the distance to the server, as it depends on various factors such as the number of nodes the signal goes through and the server's processing time. The idea of adjusting the size of each packet is also brought up. The conversation concludes with a discussion on using the Tracert command to understand the route of the ping and the complexities involved in determining the distance of a server from the current location.
biferi
I am just playing with the Ping command and would like some help understanding it.

I used Ping on Google and 4 Packets of 32 Bytes of Data went out and came back.
And the TTL for eatch Packet was like this

TTL = 30 ms
TTL = 31 ms
TTL = 30 ms
TTL = 29 ms

Now I know that this is how long each Packet took to go and come back.
And it should stay under 50 ms. and anything over something is wrong.

But how do ppeople findout how far away the server is from just Pinging it?

I know 1,000 ms = 1 SEC. so if my Pakets took 31 ms to get to and come back from google does this mean the server is how many MIN. away it is?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I doubt there is any strict correlation between the ping number and the distance to the server. It will depend on how many nodes the signal goes through to get there and back and how fast they are.

Also, "should stay under 50ms" is a decent rule of thumb, BUT ... there are many sites that are run off of shared servers, sometimes heavily shared servers, that will rarely give you better than, say, 100ms response time, so it is NOT just a matter of the signal getting there and back, there is also the processing time of the server and that can be slowed down by its load, having nothing to do with the rest of the signal transmission time.

Thanks for getting back to me.

But I do want to know google gave me a TTL of 30ms 31ms 3ms 29ms they are all very very low.

so this tells me they all came back fast and had no prablems.

Is there any way to ajust the Size of each Packet from 32 Bytes to whatever you want?

Yeah, you'd have to make some crazy assumptions to get an idea of how far away the server is. Just for fun though, let's assume that the line is ideal and the signal travels at the speed of light, and that the server is perfect with no interuptions and doesn't have to go through clusters etc. So from 30ms we can get that the server you have pinged is about 4500 km away, which is 1/9 of the Earth's circumference or like from one side of the U.S to the other. Being an engineer, I would call this a conservative estimate :) or the maximum case. Completely pointless, but interesting.

Btw, 30ms is damm good, from Australia we get 100ms from most servers not in our country.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Tracert cmd, it may help you understand where the ping is actually coming from, the time it takes to hop over all the other connections to google or any server in general and then back again. this is why it is generally impossible to determine how far a server is from your current location, not to mention all networks do not just run in straight lines in terms of distance. you could also look into routing as well as its quite interesting where you get pings from depending on switch configuration and what route your computer takes to collect the information.

1. How do I ping a server?

To ping a server, you can use the built-in ping command in your computer's command prompt or terminal. Simply type "ping [server address]" and hit enter. The ping command will send a small packet of data to the server and measure the time it takes for the server to respond.

2. Why is it important to know how far away a server is?

Knowing the distance between your computer and a server can help determine how long it will take for data to travel back and forth. This is especially important for tasks that require real-time communication, such as online gaming or video conferencing. It can also help improve website loading times by selecting servers that are closer to your location.

3. What does the ping time represent?

The ping time, also known as latency, represents the time it takes for a small packet of data to travel from your computer to the server and back again. It is measured in milliseconds (ms) and is affected by factors such as physical distance, network congestion, and server load.

4. How accurate is pinging a server for determining distance?

Pinging a server is a quick and easy way to estimate the distance between your computer and the server. However, it is not always accurate as there are other factors that can affect the ping time, such as network routing and server location. For more precise measurements, other methods such as traceroute may be used.

5. Can I ping any server?

You can ping any server that has a valid IP address or domain name. However, the server may not always respond to pings, especially if it is set to block incoming ICMP requests. In this case, the ping will fail and you may not be able to determine the distance to the server.