Register to reply

History of measuring g

by toto93
Tags: history, measuring
Share this thread:
toto93
Dec1-12, 01:41 PM
P: 6
Hi, I have to write a report on measuring g using a simple pendulum and I wanted to get a bit of the background. I understand that a pendulum was the best way to measure g up until about a century ago but did we use anything before that?
Also what kind of methods have taken over?

I've tried looking up it's history but all I'm getting back are various things about how it's defined or the pendulum method. Anyway, any help is appreciated, thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Integral
Dec1-12, 02:06 PM
Mentor
P: 7,320
Galileo did it first.
dydxforsn
Dec2-12, 11:35 AM
P: 111
As far as what kinds of methods have been used since, I would look up Kater's Pendulum as well as the Cavendish Balance.

People are still using the Cavendish balance (though in a much more modern version) to measure 'G' apparently: http://www.washington.edu/news/2000/...igh-the-earth/.

HallsofIvy
Dec2-12, 02:42 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,564
History of measuring g

Note in dydxforsn's post the Cavendish balance is use to measure "G", not "g"! Be sure you understand the difference.
toto93
Dec2-12, 02:49 PM
P: 6
Okay thanks. I understand the difference between G and g but it's still been helpful just to get a bit of background knowledge anyway. I think I'm good as far as the history goes now, I'm just getting down to writing about the limitations of a pendulum. Modelling it as ideal, energy lost, that kind of thing. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Register to reply