Can anyone evaluate this integral?

In summary: A friend was saying this is an elliptic integral, are elliptic integrals analytically solvable?No, elliptic integrals are not analytically solvable. All integrals are, but elliptic integrals are special in that they are not polynomial in the arguments.
Summer95
Hello All! I am trying to solve the simple pendulum without using a small angle approximation. But I end up with this integral:
$$\int_{\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\theta}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{cos(\theta)-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}}$$
Is this possible to evaluate? If so, could I get a hint about what methods to use? If not, is it still possible to get an expression for the period of a simple pendulum without using small angle?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any integral is the area under the curve of the function, so one way to evaluate is to take values of the function you have written between pi/4 and theta for some given theta and do a piecewise linear area approximation for the value of the integral. The more points you evaluate the piecewise area for, the more accurate your evaluation will be for that specific theta.

Not sure if that what you mean by evaluate.

Grinkle said:
Any integral is the area under the curve of the function, so one way to evaluate is to take values of the function you have written between pi/4 and theta for some given theta and do a piecewise linear area approximation for the value of the integral. The more points you evaluate the piecewise area for, the more accurate your evaluation will be for that specific theta.

While you could do this with a Riemann sum, I think OP might be asking for an analytical answer.

Now as for the OP, you'd be in for quite a ride, but what makes me wonder is how you got to that equation from a simple pendulum? I once tried to do it, and didn't arrive to something as close as this.

The expression looks weird. At the lower limit, the denominator = 0, while afterwards (assuming [itex]\theta > \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]) the denominator is imaginary.

Likes Summer95 and DarkBabylon
mathman said:
The expression looks weird. At the lower limit, the denominator = 0, while afterwards (assuming [itex]\theta > \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]) the denominator is imaginary.
This is a simple pendulum with amplitude pi/4 so theta is going to be less then pi/4 but yes.

So what parameter of the pendulum is supposed to be represented by this integral?
And if the amplitude is pi/4 what represent the upper limit of the integral? An angle less than pi/4?

nasu said:
So what parameter of the pendulum is supposed to be represented by this integral?
And if the amplitude is pi/4 what represent the upper limit of the integral? An angle less than pi/4?
When you integrate the equation of motion for a simple pendulum, this is what you get. The amplitude is pi/4 so I'm saying that at t=0 the angle is pi/4. Then this integral is from the initial condition to some arbitrary angle theta at time t.

My end goal is to get an expression for the period.

Grinkle said:

But what if I want an expression with some arbitrary theta? I could do something like this but I don't know what my bounds should be if I want the Time for one period. Because at half a period the angle is pi/4 and at one period the angle is pi/4!

DarkBabylon said:
While you could do this with a Riemann sum, I think OP might be asking for an analytical answer.

Now as for the OP, you'd be in for quite a ride, but what makes me wonder is how you got to that equation from a simple pendulum? I once tried to do it, and didn't arrive to something as close as this.
I will upload the rest of my work if you want to see it. I just integrated the equation of motion for a simple pendulum.

A friend was saying this is an elliptic integral, are elliptic integrals analytically solvable? If so I'm down to try it!

9+
Summer95 said:
When you integrate the equation of motion for a simple pendulum, this is what you get. The amplitude is pi/4 so I'm saying that at t=0 the angle is pi/4. Then this integral is from the initial condition to some arbitrary angle theta at time t.

My end goal is to get an expression for the period.
When you integrate an equation you get another equation. What you show there is not an equation. There is no equal sign between two terms.
So my question. What is this integral supposed to be (equal to)?
But if you do the math correctly you end up with some elliptic function or an expression that can be reduced to elliptic functions. There is nothing to "solve" about it.

The integral can be expressed in terms of elliptic integrals, special functions whose values can only be approximated. This is part of the work by Legendre done about 200 years ago.

Last edited:
While you could solve it analytically to get an expression of elliptic function, a pendulum equation for big thetas is non-linear, so the linear solutions can't be applied at least not in the way it is currently written. I see sources that say it involves complex analysis.

Numerically you can still use a Riemann sum and get a graph that would give you an approximation in the real space, but physically it would be hard to pin point how the variables change the behaviour of the pendulum.

I am still wanting to know how you got to this equation.

dextercioby said:
The integral can be expressed in terms of elliptic integrals, special functions whose values can only be approximated. This is part of the work by Legendre done about 200 years ago.
Ok cool! I will figure out how to deal with elliptic integrals now! Thanks!

DarkBabylon said:
While you could solve it analytically to get an expression of elliptic function, a pendulum equation for big thetas is non-linear, so the linear solutions can't be applied at least not in the way it is currently written. I see sources that say it involves complex analysis.

Numerically you can still use a Riemann sum and get a graph that would give you an approximation in the real space, but physically it would be hard to pin point how the variables change the behaviour of the pendulum.

I am still wanting to know how you got to this equation.

First I looked at a pendulum and wrote down $$-gsin\theta=l\ddot{\theta}$$ $$l\ddot{\theta}+\frac{g}{l}sin\theta=0$$
Chain Rule $$\frac{d\dot{\theta}}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}+\frac{g}{l}sin\theta=0$$

Separate and Integrate with bounds ##0## to ##\dot{\theta}## and ##\pi/4## to ##\theta## to get
##\frac{\dot{\theta}^{2}}{2} = \frac{g}{l}(cos\theta-\sqrt{2}/2)## or ##\dot{\theta} = \sqrt{\frac{2g}{l}(cos\theta-\sqrt{2}/2)}##
You can separate variables:
$$d\theta = \sqrt{\frac{2g}{l}(cos\theta-\sqrt{2}/2)}dt$$
And Integrate:
$$\int_{\pi/4}^{\theta}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{\frac{2g}{l}(cos\theta-\sqrt{2}/2)}}=\int_{0}^{t}dt = t$$

I still don't see any problems with this.

Likes Summer95

1. How do I evaluate an integral?

Evaluating an integral requires using mathematical techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities. It also requires understanding the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

2. What is the purpose of evaluating an integral?

Evaluating an integral allows us to find the exact value of an area under a curve, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. Can anyone evaluate an integral, or do you need to be a mathematician?

Anyone with a basic understanding of calculus and integration techniques can evaluate an integral. However, more complex integrals may require advanced mathematical knowledge and skills.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for evaluating integrals?

Yes, there are certain techniques, such as integration by parts and substitution, that can make evaluating integrals easier. However, these techniques require practice and understanding of their applications.

5. Is there a specific order or steps to follow when evaluating an integral?

Yes, there are generally accepted steps to follow, such as identifying the function to be integrated, applying integration techniques, and checking the solution for correctness. However, the order may vary depending on the complexity of the integral and the chosen integration technique.