Aerospace Engineering or Physics?

In summary, the speaker was initially pursuing a math major but found the classes boring and decided to switch to either a physics or aerospace engineering degree. They could easily switch to a physics degree at their current university and graduate by Spring 2014, but they are unsure about job opportunities and salary with this degree. The other option is to pursue an Aerospace Engineering degree, which aligns more with their interests, but would require additional pre-engineering courses and two more years at a different university. The speaker is unsure if it is worth the extra time and money. They are seeking input from others on which option to choose.
GoldenLeg
I was initially going to school to be a math major. I didn't have any issues with the difficulty of the classes, however they were boring the hell out of me and I just wasn't enjoying it. So, I've decided to switch it up.

Here's the deal. I could just switch to a physics degree at my current university with no problem and have my degree by Spring 2014. I like Physics and all the classes associated with the degree, but what kind of jobs can you get with it? Average salary coming out of school? After 10 years?

The other option I'm weighing would be to pursue an Aerospace Engineering degree. It caters to my interests more than a general physics degree does. The only problem with this one, is that I would have to do all of the pre-engineering courses at my current university which would run me into Spring 2014, then I would have another 2 years of school at the University of Texas or Texas A&M

Is it worth spending another 2 years of my life, and A LOT more money obtaining the engineering degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
...Anybody have any input??

1. What is the difference between aerospace engineering and physics?

Aerospace engineering is a specialized branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves applying principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create functional and efficient aerospace vehicles. On the other hand, physics is a broad scientific discipline that studies the fundamental laws and principles governing the natural world, including the behavior of matter and energy. While aerospace engineering is more focused on the practical application of physics in the design and construction of aerospace vehicles, physics is a more theoretical and fundamental field of study.

2. What are the main components of an aerospace engineering degree?

An aerospace engineering degree typically includes courses in mathematics, physics, aerodynamics, thermodynamics, mechanics, materials science, and computer-aided design. It may also include classes on specific aerospace systems, such as propulsion, structures, and controls. In addition, many aerospace engineering programs also require students to complete hands-on projects or internships to gain practical experience in the field.

3. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in aerospace engineering or physics?

Graduates with a degree in aerospace engineering or physics have a wide range of career opportunities in the aerospace industry, government agencies, research institutions, and academia. They can work as aerospace engineers, designing and testing aircraft and spacecraft, or as research scientists, exploring new technologies and concepts in the field. They may also pursue careers in related industries, such as defense, transportation, or energy.

4. What skills are important for success in the field of aerospace engineering or physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and physics, successful aerospace engineers and physicists need excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. They must also have a keen attention to detail, strong analytical skills, and the ability to work with complex systems. Communication and teamwork skills are also important, as these professionals often collaborate with others to design and develop aerospace projects.

5. What new developments and advancements can we expect to see in the field of aerospace engineering or physics in the future?

The field of aerospace engineering and physics is constantly evolving and advancing as new technologies and discoveries are made. In the future, we can expect to see continued developments in areas such as hypersonic flight, space exploration, and unmanned aerial vehicles. There will also likely be a focus on sustainability and efficiency in aerospace design, as well as advancements in materials science and propulsion systems. Additionally, with the rise of private space companies, there may be more opportunities for innovation and growth in the industry.