Register to reply

Can someone who knows Quantum Mechanics tell me if this video is a good intro?

by MattA147
Tags: intro, mechanics, quantum, video
Share this thread:
MattA147
Dec19-12, 01:28 PM
P: 14
Hi guys, I have recently come across a video on YouTube which gives you a brief intro to Quantum Mechanics/Physics. Can someone tell me if this video is accurate? Could someone suggest some introductory reading or resources for learning QM? Is it even accessible to a 15 year old? Should I just wait till uni to learn QM? The video I mentioned is provided in the link below. :) Thanks for any feedback and advice in advance. :)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Comb on a chip' powers new atomic clock design
Quantum leap in lasers brightens future for quantum computing
Enhanced NIST instrument enables high-speed chemical imaging of tissues
MattA147
Dec19-12, 01:29 PM
P: 14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKH7g9axXGM
jedishrfu
Dec19-12, 02:01 PM
P: 2,766
he explained it well without math although if you were learning if for the first time you might get different ideas.

Pro Lewin's lectures might be better at teaching an introduction:

http://videolectures.net/mit801f99_lewin_lec34/

and Prof Binney has a whole QM course available online:

http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/people/james-binney

DiracPool
Dec19-12, 08:40 PM
P: 534
Can someone who knows Quantum Mechanics tell me if this video is a good intro?

Pro Lewin's lectures might be better at teaching an introduction:
Lewin is always a good choice, if for no other reason than his enthusiasm for the subject I think is just what a high schooler needs to get excited about the subject.

Prof Binney has a whole QM course available online:
Binney is great too, but way to advanced for a 15 year old, unless he's some kind of prodigy. His class relys on an accompanying linear algebra course which he mentions in the first few lectures, and introducing QM using Dirac notation, as Binney does, is more likely to turn most newbie's off than anything else.

The Brightstorm guy in the video Matt posted is great for all areas of physics as an intro. There are many other of sort of "amateur" presentations of QM on you tube also, some better than others. The key is to keep hunting around until you find someone who you feel is talking your language and at the level you can understand.
Demystifier
Dec20-12, 02:28 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,568
Quote Quote by MattA147 View Post
Can someone tell me if this video is accurate?
Yes it is.

Could someone suggest some introductory reading or resources for learning QM? Is it even accessible to a 15 year old? Should I just wait till uni to learn QM?
I would suggest you to read popular science books on quantum mechanics, such as
A. Rae, Quantum Physics Illusion or Reality?
grzz
Dec20-12, 03:32 AM
P: 950
I found 'The Quantum World' by John Polkinghorn to be a very good introduction to quantum mechanics.
K^2
Dec20-12, 07:48 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,470
Can someone tell me if this video is accurate?
Not all of it. His statements about Schrodinger's Equation and quantization are the most problematic ones. In contrast, his explanation of probability distribution is pretty good, all things considering.

As far as being a good introduction, not if you actually want to learn it. Best introduction for learning QM is a textbook on QM.
micky_gta
Dec20-12, 01:24 PM
P: 54
Don't forget this one to get your juices flowing =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc
jedishrfu
Dec20-12, 01:36 PM
Quote Quote by micky_gta View Post
Don't forget this one to get your juices flowing =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc
Nice animation. Did you notice the "What the Bleep" poster in the background on the wall?
Evo
Dec20-12, 06:39 PM
Mentor
P: 26,415
Quote Quote by jedishrfu View Post
Nice animation. Did you notice the "What the Bleep" poster in the background on the wall?
"What the bleep" is a crackpot movie banned here.
jedishrfu
Dec20-12, 10:36 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
"What the bleep" is a crackpot movie banned here.
Thanks, Evo. I know that. I just thought it detracted a bit from the animated video.
Jazzdude
Dec21-12, 04:21 AM
P: 182
Quote Quote by K^2 View Post
Not all of it. His statements about Schrodinger's Equation and quantization are the most problematic ones. In contrast, his explanation of probability distribution is pretty good, all things considering.
Interestingly, I see it the other way around. I find his statements about quantization mostly accurate and his explanation of measurement and probability problematic.

So what do you consider to be incorrect about his explanation of quantization?

Register to reply