Cesaro summability implies bounded partial sums

by stripes
Tags: bounded, cesaro, implies, partial, summability, sums
Share this thread:
stripes
Feb6-13, 02:53 AM
P: 263
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [itex] c_{n} > 0[/itex] for each [itex] n\geq 0.[/itex] Prove that if [itex]\sum ^{\infty}_{n=0} c_{n}[/itex] is Cesaro summable, then the partial sums [itex] S_{N} [/itex] are bounded.

2. Relevant equations

--

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried contraposition; that was getting me nowhere. I have a few inequalities here and there but they don't tell me anything. I need to show that there exists an upperbound for the partial sums. This means there exists a least upperbound. I need to find that least upperbound. Because[itex] c_{n} > 0[/itex] for each [itex] n\geq 0,[/itex] then the series is nondecreasing, which means the partial sums are nondecreasing, so we are looking for an upperbound, not a lowerbound.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
pasmith
Feb6-13, 06:34 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 990
Quote Quote by stripes View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [itex] c_{n} > 0[/itex] for each [itex] n\geq 0.[/itex] Prove that if [itex]\sum ^{\infty}_{n=0} c_{n}[/itex] is Cesaro summable, then the partial sums [itex] S_{N} [/itex] are bounded.

2. Relevant equations

--

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried contraposition; that was getting me nowhere. I have a few inequalities here and there but they don't tell me anything. I need to show that there exists an upperbound for the partial sums. This means there exists a least upperbound. I need to find that least upperbound.
That least upper bound, if it exists, is [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} S_n[/itex], which is the definition of [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n[/itex] in the traditional sense.

Register to reply