Interior of the set of "finite" sequences

In summary: And what are their closures? I am not sure how to answer that without looking at the definitions of ##c_0## and ##c_{00}##, and maybe some properties of ##\ell^p##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Identify the boundary ##\partial c_{00}## in ##\ell^p##, for each ##p\in[1,\infty]##

Homework Equations

The interior of ##S## is ##\operatorname{int}(S) = \{a\in S \mid \exists \delta > 0 \text{ such that } B_\delta (a) \subseteq S\}##.

##\partial S = \bar{S}\setminus \operatorname{int}(S)##

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem uses part of the result from the last problem I posted, but I am going to try it first since it seems a bit easier. Suppose I already know that the closure of ##c_{00}## when ##p\not = \infty## is ##\ell^p##, and that the closure of ##c_{00}## when ##p=\infty## is ##c_0##.

Case 1: ##p\not =\infty##. ##\partial c_{00} = \bar{c_{00}}\setminus \operatorname{int}(c_{00}) = \ell^p\setminus \operatorname{int}(c_{00}) ##.

Case 2: ##p = \infty##. ##\partial c_{00} = \bar{c_{00}}\setminus \operatorname{int}(c_{00}) = c_0\setminus \operatorname{int}(c_{00}) ##So I guess my question then is how would I go about finding the interior of ##c_{00}## in both cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
##c_{00} := \left\{x=\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty \in \ell^p \,:\, \text{ there is an }N\in\mathbb{N} \text{ such that }x_n=0 \text{ for all }n\geq N \,\right\} \subseteq \ell^p:=\left\{\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty\in\mathbb{R}^\mathbb{N}\,:\, \sum_{n\in\mathbb{N}} |x_n|^p <\infty\right\}##

##c_{00} :=
\left\{x=\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty\in \ell^\infty\,:\,\text{ there is an $N\in\mathbb{N}$ such that $x_n=0$ for all $n\geq N$}\right\} \subseteq \ell^\infty:=\left\{\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty\in\mathbb{R}^\mathbb{N}\,:\, \sup(\{|x_n|:n\in\mathbb{N}\})<\infty\right\}
##

##c_0:= \left\{x=\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty\in c:\,\lim_{n\to\infty}x_n=0\right\}##

Last edited:
Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
##c_{00} := \left\{x=\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty \in \ell^p \,:\, \text{ there is an }N\in\mathbb{N} \text{ such that }x_n=0 \text{ for all }n\geq N \,\right\} \subseteq \ell^p:=\left\{\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty\in\mathbb{R}^\mathbb{N}\,:\, \sum_{n\in\mathbb{N}} |x_n|^p <\infty\right\}##

##c_{00} :=
\left\{x=\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty\in \ell^\infty\,:\,\text{ there is an $N\in\mathbb{N}$ such that $x_n=0$ for all $n\geq N$}\right\} \subseteq \ell^\infty:=\left\{\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty\in\mathbb{R}^\mathbb{N}\,:\, \sup(\{|x_n|:n\in\mathbb{N}\})<\infty\right\}
##

##c_0:= \left\{x=\{x_n\}_{n=1}^\infty\in c:\,\lim_{n\to\infty}x_n=0\right\}##
Could you explain a bit more?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Could you explain a bit more?
I simply wanted to make your thread readable. As far as I know, the notation ##\ell^p## is standard, the subsets are not. And the definitions of ##c_0## and ##c_{00}## are essential to the thread, and you have neither linked their definition nor repeated them. That's why I copied the definitions from the other thread.

I haven't thought about the topological properties of these sets. If you show your closure proofs, then they might contain a hint what the boundary, resp. the interiors are. I do not assume isolated points here, so the question will be: are those sets open?

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is the "interior" of a set of finite sequences?

The "interior" of a set of finite sequences refers to the set of all finite sequences that can be constructed using the elements within the given set. In other words, it is the subset of the original set that contains all possible combinations of the elements.

2. How is the "interior" of a set of finite sequences different from the set itself?

The "interior" of a set of finite sequences is different from the set itself because it only includes finite sequences that can be constructed using the elements within the set, while the set may also include infinite sequences or sequences that cannot be constructed using the given elements.

3. What is the importance of studying the "interior" of a set of finite sequences?

Studying the "interior" of a set of finite sequences is important because it allows us to understand the full range of possibilities within a given set. It can also help us identify patterns and relationships between the elements within the set, which can be useful in various fields such as computer science, mathematics, and statistics.

4. How can one determine the "interior" of a set of finite sequences?

The "interior" of a set of finite sequences can be determined by examining the elements within the set and identifying all possible combinations of these elements that result in finite sequences. This can be done through various methods such as listing out all possible combinations or using mathematical formulas and algorithms.

5. Can the "interior" of a set of finite sequences be infinite?

No, the "interior" of a set of finite sequences cannot be infinite. This is because it only includes finite sequences that can be constructed using the elements within the set, and by definition, finite sequences have a limited number of elements. However, the set itself may contain infinite sequences or an infinite number of finite sequences.