Register to reply

Brownian bridge and first hitting times

Share this thread:
Tetef
Feb6-13, 02:46 PM
P: 3
Hi,

Letting [itex]W[/itex] be a standard brownian motion, we define the first hitting times
[itex]T_{a}=inf\{t:W(t)=a\}[/itex] with [itex]a<0[/itex]
and
[itex]T_{b}=inf\{t:W(t)=b\}[/itex] with [itex]b>0[/itex]

The probability of one hitting time being before an other is :
[itex]P\{T_{a}<T_{b}\}=\frac{b}{b-a}[/itex]

I'm looking for this probability in the case of a brownian bridge :
[itex]P\{T_{a}<T_{b} | W(t)=x\}[/itex] with [itex]x<a[/itex]

Could some one help me please?

Thx !
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
mathman
Feb6-13, 03:23 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,030
Your question looks confusing. Your last statement has x < a. Also did you mean W(0) = x? Your T definitions use t also.
Tetef
Feb6-13, 04:00 PM
I did mean what I wrote,

A standard brownian motion has [itex]W(0)=0[/itex]

I use [itex]t[/itex] in the definition [itex]T_{a}=inf\{t:W(t)=a\}[/itex]to say the first hitting times are defined as : [itex]T_{a}[/itex] is the smallest time [itex]t[/itex] where the brownian motion does hit the level [itex]a[/itex] i.e. [itex]W(t)=a[/itex]

In the expression of the probability [itex]P\{T_{a}<T_{b}|W(t)=x\}[/itex], [itex]t[/itex] is the 'time of one observation'.
If you look for [itex]P\{T_{a}<t\}[/itex], you're looking for the probability for [itex]W[/itex] to hit a level [itex]a[/itex] before [itex]t[/itex] ([itex]t[/itex] being the end of the observation).

Here, in the expression [itex]P\{T_{a}<T_{b}|W(t)=x\}[/itex], I'm looking for the probability for one hitting time to be before the other, knowing that at the time [itex]t[/itex], the brownian motion will be equal to [itex]x[/itex], i.e. [itex]W(t)=x[/itex]; and thus form a brownian bridge between [itex]0[/itex] at time [itex]0[/itex] ([itex]W(0)=0[/itex]) and [itex]x[/itex] at time [itex]t[/itex] ([itex]W(t)=x[/itex])

[itex]P\{T_{a}<T_{b}|W(t)=x\}[/itex] could be asked for [itex]x\inℝ[/itex].
In my case I have [itex]x<a[/itex]. This implies, by continuity of the brownian motion, that [itex]T_{a}[/itex] does exist before [itex]t[/itex]. It might make it simpler, it might not...

Tetef
Feb6-13, 04:53 PM
Brownian bridge and first hitting times

I don't know if it's any use but, I've thought of this :

[itex]P\{T_{a}<T_{b}|W(t)=x\}=\frac{p\{T_{a}<T_{b}\cap W(t)=x\}}{p\{W(t)=x\}}[/itex]

where capital [itex]P[/itex] are probabilities and small [itex]p[/itex] are probability density functions.

we know :
[itex]p\{W(t)=x\}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi t}}exp( -\frac{x^2}{2t})[/itex]

we don't know :
[itex]p\{T_{a}<T_{b}\cap W(t)=x\}[/itex]

but we know that :
[itex]\int^{+∞}_{-∞} p\{T_{a}<T_{b}\cap W(t)=x\}dx=\frac{b}{b-a}[/itex]
Is that right?
mathman
Feb7-13, 06:04 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,030
I have not studied this problem in any detail, so I don't know if I can be of any further help.

Register to reply