An ODE I was thinking of.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Thinking
In summary, the conversation was about a specific differential equation and whether or not it has a solution in the form of a power series. The equation in question is y''(x) = y(x)e^{y'(x)} and the participants discussed their attempts at finding a solution using power series and the difficulty of finding a general recurrence equation for the coefficients. One participant mentioned that the ODE is solvable using the inverse function x(y) as a special function defined by an integral. Another participant posed a similar equation with additional terms and asked if it has a special function solution. The conversation also included examples of the equation for different values of n.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I thought today of the next DE:

[tex] y''(x) = y(x)e^{y'(x)}[/tex]

Not sure if it has applications, obviosuly I tried to find a solution via power series around x=0.

It seems tough to look for a general recurrence equation for the coefficients.
Here's what I have done so far.

[tex]y(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n [/tex]

[tex]y'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} na_n x^{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]y''(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n(n-1)a_n x^{n-2} [/tex]

equating:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n(n-1)a_n x^{n-2} =\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n e^{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n n x^{n-1}} [/tex]

[tex]e^{a_1} e^{2a_2 x} e^{3a_3 x^2} \cdots = e^{a_1}[1+2a_1 x + \frac{(2a_1 x)^2}{2!}+\cdots]\cdot [1+3a_3 x^2 +\frac{(3a_3 x^2)^2}{2!}+\cdots]\cdot \cdots [/tex]

I am not sure if it even converges, is this equation known already, I am quite sure someone already thought of it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi !
The ODE is solvable on the form of the inverse function x(y) as a special function defined by an integral :

Attachments

• ODE Lambert.JPG
    ODE Lambert.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 373
Thanks.

Well, if I am already in the mood for non-ordinary DEs, I'll make this thread a thread with peculiar DEs I have in my mind.

Here's another one:

[tex]y^{(n)}+(y^{(n-1)})^2+(y^{(n-2)})^3+\ldots + (y')^{n+1}+y^{n+2} = 0[/tex]

Guessing a solution in the form of power series will be hard work (which I don't have time for right now), so does it have an specail function form solution?

P.S
n\geq 1

Maybe some examples if the general case isn't clear enough.

for n=1:

[tex] y'+y^2=0[/tex]

For n=2:

[tex] y''+(y')^2+y^3=0[/tex]

For n=3:

[tex] y'''+(y'')^2+(y')^3+y^4=0[/tex]

Etc.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time, based on its current value and the rate of change.

2. What are some examples of ODEs?

Some examples of ODEs include the logistic equation, the heat equation, and the Lotka-Volterra equations.

3. How are ODEs used in science?

ODEs are used in many scientific fields, including physics, biology, and economics, to model and predict various phenomena over time.

4. What is the difference between an ODE and a PDE?

An ODE involves only one independent variable, usually time, while a PDE, or Partial Differential Equation, involves multiple independent variables, such as space and time.

5. How are ODEs solved?

ODEs can be solved analytically, using mathematical techniques, or numerically, using computational methods. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.