Bcc lattice

by rubertoda
Tags: lattice
Share this thread:
rubertoda
Feb14-13, 04:38 PM
P: 33
Hi, i have problems understanding the Brilluoin zone to the bcc lattice

First, i wonder what the distances are, from the origo to the brillouin zone plane borders.
I firts thought it would be half the distance of the basis vectors (mine are 2pi/a, where a is my lattice constant, BUT its only true for 2-D calculations for square lattices.

I know that the distances in 3D should be |G-vector|/2, and i take the smallest possible G.

But i still dont know

ANyone who knows how to find the distances from origo to the first BZ zone boundaries, knowig that the basis vector in the reciprocal space is 2pi/2?are they all the same??
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Promising ferroelectric materials suffer from unexpected electric polarizations
Structure of certain types of beetle shells could inspire brighter, whiter coatings and materials
Pitt engineer turns metal into glass
hokhani
Feb15-13, 05:56 AM
P: 269
I think if the direct lattice constant is a, then the reciprocal lattice constant would be[itex]2\pi/a[/itex] hence your favorite distance is [itex](\pi/\sqrt2)a[/itex].
rubertoda
Feb15-13, 07:52 AM
Thanks a lot. and this goes eveforryone of the 12 directions in the BZ?

hokhani
Feb15-13, 04:34 PM
P: 269
Bcc lattice

No, it was for the four direction located in the middle of the figure 4.16 Ashcroft & Mermin. you can easily calculate it for remained 8 directions (see the figure).
rubertoda
Feb15-13, 04:45 PM
ok thanks. im jut interested in the 110-direvtion, from origo to N,in the Ʃ-direction

Register to reply