K vector in first brillouin zone

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of K vectors and reciprocal space in crystals. The speaker has a question about how K vectors can exist in the first Brillouin Zone when they cannot be expressed in the vector form of reciprocal space. The other person clarifies that the speaker is confusing reciprocal space and reciprocal lattice, and gives an example to illustrate the difference. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the other person for their explanation.
Sophocles
Hey guys,

I just realized that there is a gap somewhere in my understanding of K vectors and reciprocal space.
My question is how can we talk about K vectors "living" in the first Brillouin Zone, when these vectors cannot be expressed on the vector form of reciprocal space ( r*=ha*kb*+lc* , where h,k,l integers)? First Brillouin Zone as I understand it, extends until half the length of the first neighboring lattice point of the reciprocal space.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I interprete your question correctly, you seem to be confusing the reciprocal space and reciprocal lattice.
For example the electron density or wavefunction of some crystal is defined for any point in space and likewise is its Fourier transform defined for any k vector with real components in reciprocal space.
In direct space any location in the crystal can be described as a lattice vector plus some vector lying in the unit cell centered at the origin.
Likewise, any point in reciprocal space can be decomposed into a point inside the first brillouin zone and a reciprocal lattice vector.

Likes 1 person
Ok. So if I get it correctly, there are k vectors who belong to the reciprocal lattice, having periodicity the same as the real lattice (and the ones responsible for diffraction phenomena) and then there is K space for all the rest of the waves that can travel through the medium?

Maybe it is helpful to have some example, where splitting a general wavevector into a vector k in the first BZ and a reciprocal lattice vector is useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloch_wave

Thank you very much DrDu. After all, I finally got it!

1. What is the significance of the K vector in the first Brillouin zone?

The K vector represents the wavevector of an electron in a crystal lattice. It is important in determining the electronic band structure and properties of a material.

2. How is the K vector related to the crystal lattice?

The K vector is directly related to the periodicity and symmetry of the crystal lattice. It can be thought of as a measure of the distance between repeating units in the lattice.

3. Can the K vector have different values in different directions?

Yes, the K vector can have different values in different directions. This is because the crystal lattice may have different properties along different axes, leading to variations in the K vector.

4. How is the K vector related to the first Brillouin zone?

The K vector is used to define the boundaries of the first Brillouin zone. It is the wavevector at the edge of the first Brillouin zone that separates allowed and forbidden energy states for electrons in the crystal lattice.

5. Can the K vector change as a result of external influences?

Yes, external influences such as temperature, pressure, or the presence of impurities can cause the K vector to shift. This can impact the properties and behavior of electrons in the crystal lattice.