How to maintain CPT invariance in Kaon oscillations

by SteDolan
Tags: invariance, kaon, maintain, oscillations
SteDolan
Feb17-13, 08:29 AM
P: 14
Hey,

I'm trying to get my head around neutral Kaon oscillations. As far as I understand it neutral Kaons can change between [itex]K^0[/itex] and [itex]\overline{K^0}[/itex] as they propagate. Going through the quantum mechanics of this implies that this oscillation must be facilitated by a mass difference between the [itex]K^0[/itex] and [itex]\overline{K^0}[/itex] in a [itex]\cos(\Delta m t)[/itex] term.

But I thought a mass difference between any particle and its antiparticle implies CPT violation.

As far as I know CPT is not known to be violated so my question is: How do Kaon Oscillations maintain CPT invariance?

Thanks in advance for any help :D
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
Vanadium 50
Feb17-13, 08:47 AM
Mentor
P: 15,625
The K0 and K0bar are not mass eigenstates.
Bill_K
Feb17-13, 09:06 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,861
Consider the Hamiltonian across the K0 and K0-bar states. CPT says the masses of these states are equal:
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}M&0\\0&M\end{array}\right)[/tex]
But the weak interaction adds a perturbation that turns K0 into K0-bar:
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}M&ε\\ε&M\end{array}\right)[/tex]
As V50 says, K0 and K0-bar are no longer the eigenstates, and the originally degenerate mass eigenvalues have been split into two unequal eigenvalues.

SteDolan
Feb17-13, 10:31 AM

How to maintain CPT invariance in Kaon oscillations

Thanks! That makes sense.

So I guess the [itex]\Delta m[/itex] refers to the difference in mass of the modified states coupling to the weak interaction (a superposition of K0 and K0-bar)?
mfb
Feb17-13, 10:41 AM
Mentor
P: 10,854
No, those "particles" are the weak eigenstates. The mass eigenstates are called K1 and K2. Neglecting CP violation, K1 is the short-living KS and K2 is the "long"-living KL.
CP violation introduces another, but small mixing in this system - KS has some small component of K2 and KL has a small component of K1.
SteDolan
Feb17-13, 10:55 AM
Thanks. I think I understand that. Am I right in thinking that if there was no CP violation the mass eigenstates would have the same mass and therefore there would be no kaon oscillations?
mfb
Feb17-13, 11:20 AM
Mentor
Without CP violation, the mass eigenstates would be identical to K_S and K_L, but those would remain a mixture of the weak eigenstates.
Bill_K
Feb17-13, 11:36 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,861
The mass eigenstates are called K1 and K2. Neglecting CP violation, K1 is the short-living KS and K2 is the "long"-living KL. CP violation introduces another, but small mixing in this system - KS has some small component of K2 and KL has a small component of K1.
Isn't it true that, regardless of CP violation, eigenstates have definite mass values and lifetimes. So KS and KL must be by definition the eigenstates, even though they won't be exact eigenstates of CP.
mfb
Feb17-13, 03:22 PM
Mentor
Wait, I messed it up.
##K^0 = d\bar{s}## (and its antiparticle) is a strong eigenstate.
Without CP violation, ##K_1 = K_S = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (d\bar{s} + \bar{d}s## and ##K_2 = K_L = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (d\bar{s} - \bar{d}s## are weak and mass eigenstates. The first one has CP=+1, the latter one has CP=-1. This explains their lifetime difference, ##K_L## has to decay to three pions while ##K_S## can decay to two.

With CP violation, but conserved CPT,
##K_S = \frac{1}{1+\epsilon^2}(K_1 + \epsilon K_2)## and ##K_L = \frac{1}{1+\epsilon^2}(K_2 + \epsilon K_1)##
##K_S## and ##K_L## are weak (and mass?) eigenstates, giving them their different lifetime. The small CP violation allows (rare) decays of a ##K_L## to two pions and decays of a ##K_S## to three pions.
The real part of ϵ is about 1.6 permille.

Register to reply