Invariance of Dirac Lagrangian

In summary, the authors discuss the invariance of Equation 1.5.61 in the first chapter of Lessons on Particle Physics. They state that this equation is invariant and that its first term, involving ##\partial_\mu##, can be seen as invariant through the transformation properties of ##\psi \bar \gamma^\mu \psi##. The appropriate ##\LaTeX## code for ##\bar\psi## is \bar\psi. It is also mentioned that partial derivatives transform differently under Lorentz transformations and that any quantity with summed Lorentz-indices is invariant.
Gene Naden
I am working through the first chapter of Lessons on Particle Physics by Luis Anchordoqui and Francis Halzen. The link is https://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0906/0906.1271v2.pdf

I am on page 22. Equation 1.5.61:
##L_{Dirac}=\psi \bar ( i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu-m)\psi##
where ##\psi bar = \psi^\dagger \gamma^0##

The authors state that this is invariant. I already proved the invariance of the mass term, but I don't see how to prove the invariance of the term involving ##\partial_\mu##.

The authors seem to feel that the invariance of (1.5.61) follows directly from the transformation properties of ##\psi \bar \gamma^\mu \psi##, which are:

##\psi \bar \prime \gamma^\mu \psi \prime = \Lambda^\mu_{\phantom \alpha} \psi \bar \gamma^\alpha \psi##

My question is how do I see the invariance of ##L_{Dirac}##; how to see the invariance of the first term, which is proportional to ##\psi bar \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \psi##?

A related question: how to render ##\psi bar## in Tex. When I use \bar or \overline, the bar ends up too far to the right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you aware of how partial derivatives transform under Lorentz transformations?

Also, the appropriate ##\LaTeX## code for ##\bar\psi## is \bar\psi.

Likes Gene Naden
Thank you, when I get home I will look at the transformation of partial derivatives.

So let's see, ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}## is covariant and ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_\mu}## is contravariant, right?

So ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x\prime ^\mu}=\Lambda^\sigma_{\nu} \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\sigma}##

I don't know how to push the ##\nu## out to the second position...

In general, any quantity that has its Lorentz-indices summed over is invariant under Lorentz transformations... (I suppose that's the invariance you are asking about, and not that of gauge symmetries)... That is all quantities written as minkowski products are invariant under Lorentz transfs, in the same way the quantities (in e.g. mechanics) that are written as vector dot procuts are invariant under Euclidean transfs.

Last edited:

1. What is the Invariance of Dirac Lagrangian?

The Invariance of Dirac Lagrangian is a fundamental principle in quantum field theory, which states that the Dirac Lagrangian, a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of fermions, remains unchanged under certain transformations. This principle is essential in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. What transformations does the Dirac Lagrangian remain invariant under?

The Dirac Lagrangian is invariant under Lorentz transformations, which are transformations that preserve the speed of light and the laws of physics in all inertial reference frames. It is also invariant under local gauge transformations, which are transformations that preserve the overall structure of the Lagrangian.

3. Why is the Invariance of Dirac Lagrangian important?

The Invariance of Dirac Lagrangian is important because it ensures that the laws of physics remain consistent and unchanged, regardless of the reference frame or gauge chosen. It also allows for the successful application of quantum field theory in describing the behavior of particles and their interactions.

4. How does the Invariance of Dirac Lagrangian relate to conservation laws?

The Invariance of Dirac Lagrangian is closely related to conservation laws, such as conservation of energy and momentum. These laws are a consequence of the invariance of the Lagrangian under certain transformations. This means that the laws of physics remain unchanged, even though the system itself may undergo transformations.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Invariance of Dirac Lagrangian?

While the Invariance of Dirac Lagrangian holds for most physical systems, there are some exceptions. One notable exception is the violation of CP symmetry, which involves the transformation of particles to their antiparticles. This violation is important in understanding the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe.