Combining two different sound intensities

In summary: You don't necessarily need to know the exact value of I0. You can choose a reference intensity that makes the calculation easier. As long as you are consistent in your choice for both sound intensities, your final result will be correct.In summary, the conversation discusses two fixed sounds of different frequencies with known intensity levels. To find the level of the combined sound, the decibel intensity level equation is used. The decibel intensity level is equal to 10 times the log of the actual sound intensity divided by a reference intensity. By deriving a relation between the total intensity and the individual intensities, it is possible to determine the level of the combined sound in each case. It is not necessary to know the exact value of the reference
ebmather
Consider a fixed sound of intensity level SIL1 = 70 dB and another (of different frequency) whose intensity level takes on the series of values SIL2 = 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 dB.
(a) To the nearest dB, what is the level of the combined sound in each case?
(b) Make a general statement about the combined level for any two sounds when one is much stronger than the other.

Relevant equations
SIL=10log(I/Io)

I tried to do SIL=10log(70+50) for the first one, but I don't think that's right. Do you divide them instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
##70\text{dB} = 10\log(I_1/I_0)##
##50\text{dB} = 10\log(I_2/I_0)##
... and so on. Do you see where you are going wrong?

No, your equations don't seem to make sense to me...?

Definition of "decibels":

SIL=10log(I/Io) is what you wrote down. Make sure you understand this relation.

SIL is the decibel intensity level.
I is the actual sound intensity.
I0 is some reference intensity.
When you wrote SIL=10log(70+50) you put the decibel levels inside the log where actual intensities go.

Thus, SIL1=70dB implies a sound intensity of I so that 70dB=10log(I/I0).

okay yes that makes much more sense, but how do I solve it? Do i replace Io with the W/m^2 number? Ex for 70dB=10log(I1/Io) : Io-10^-12 and I=10^-5?
and then just add the two answers together to create the combined sound in each case?

Last edited:
From the definition of SLI:##SLI_{tot}=10\log(I_{tot}/I_0)##
You need to know how to get the total intensity from the individual intensities.

What you have to do then, is derive the relation that gives you ##SLI_{tot}## in terms of ##SLI_1## and ##SLI_2##. I mean - in general. Just do the algebra first, then put the numbers in.

Does it matter if you don't know what ##I_0## is?

1. How do you combine two different sound intensities?

To combine two different sound intensities, you can use a process called superposition. This involves adding the two sound waves together, resulting in a combined wave with a new intensity.

2. What is the result of combining two sound intensities?

The result of combining two sound intensities is a new sound wave with a different intensity than either of the original waves. This can result in a louder or softer sound, depending on the individual intensities being combined.

3. How does the direction of sound waves affect their combination?

The direction of sound waves does not affect their combination. As long as the waves are in the same medium, they can be combined through superposition regardless of their direction.

4. Can combining two sound intensities result in destructive interference?

Yes, when two sound waves of equal intensity and opposite phase are combined, they can cancel each other out through destructive interference, resulting in a lower overall sound intensity.

5. Is it possible to combine more than two sound intensities?

Yes, it is possible to combine more than two sound intensities by using the principles of superposition. This can result in a complex sound wave with varying intensities and frequencies.