Register to reply

Classes for next semester

by Gale
Tags: classes, semester
Share this thread:
Gale
Jun13-05, 06:24 AM
P: 676
So, i'm just picking some classes for next semester.

What i have so far:

Math 300 - Fundemental Concepts of Math (proofs and stuff mostly it seems)
Math 421- Complex variables (basically calc with complex variables..)
Physics 181- Mechanics
Theater 100- intro to theater
Comp Lit 131-Brave New World

i'm debating whether to add Math 425 or CmpSci 121. Now, i'd rather take the math definetly, cause i love math, and if i could i'd take only math. but, i'm wondering if its wiser to take the cmpsci course. now, actually, i know its probably a little better to take the cmpsci course because people are worried i'll overload on math. so i guess i'm actually trying to see if i can take the math course anyway...

so math 425- Calculus of several variables, Jacobians, implicit functions, inverse functions; multiple integrals, line and surface integrals, divergence theorem, Stokes' theorem. Prerequisites: MATH 233 and MATH 235 or 236.

do you think those 3 math classes would be too much? i'm not sure how hard any of them will be, or how much work they'll take. but mostly, the only schoolwork i do is math... so i think... think i can handle it. but ya...

Oh, also, the physics i'm hoping won't be a problem. cause i already took mechanics in highschool. I just didn't do so awesome on the AP. i think if i was taking physics for the first time, i wouldn't take the extra math... but i think since i've done it before... maybe it'd be ok?

Oh, i guess i should also mention i'm a freshman. i'll be a second semester freshman technically i guess. double major in math and astrophysics. obviously, i'm a bit more enthused about the math... i may drop the physics if i can graduate with the math degree significantly sooner. we'll see..
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Kalimaa23
Jun13-05, 06:59 AM
P: 307
Take the extra calc course. It's basic stuff that you'll certainly need later on if you want to continue in physics.
dextercioby
Jun13-05, 07:43 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,920
It's astrocr@p she wants to do,i guess.So maybe CompScience is more suited.

Unless she chooses mathematics and then Calculus should do the trick.

Daniel.

cronxeh
Jun13-05, 07:57 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
Classes for next semester

I'd stick with a Math major - and later on take grad course on Numerical Methods for Astro stuff

Register to reply