Solve 2x+3y=2, 3x+2y=3 Congruences Simultaneously

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving simultaneous congruences with the help of a hint from the instructor. The participants discuss different methods, including using the fact that the modulo is the same for both congruences and eventually come to the solution of finding values for x and y.
mattmns
Hello I have the following question.
----
Solve the following congruences simultaneously:

[tex]2x + 3y \equiv 2 mod 631[/tex]
[tex]3x + 2y \equiv 3 mod 631[/tex]
----

I first tried adding and got [tex]5x + 5y \equiv 5 mod 631[/tex], but I was then stuck, so I tried the old multiplication, which looked worse as: [tex]6x^2 + 13xy + 6y^2 \equiv 6 mod 631[/tex]

Any ideas? I am guessing that I need to go somewhere with the addition one, but I can't see where. The instructor had a hint of using the fact that 631 is prime, but I can't see anything from that. Thanks.

Hmm, just got an idea, [tex]5(x + y) \equiv 5 mod 631[/tex], then find inverse of 5 and multiply it through to find x+y = something mod 631. I did this and got:

[tex]x + y \equiv 5*79380 mod 631[/tex]
which is
[tex]x + y \equiv 1 mod 631[/tex]
Now where can I go from here? Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try solving them like regular simultaneous equations.

Eliminate x from the equations. You have a congruence relation for y. Now plug this back in and find a separate congruence relation for x.

How would I do that without canceling the y's? In my mind I would have to multiply the top by 3 and bottom by 2, but when I added, I would get 0 = 0 mod 631.

No, you won't ![tex]3x + 2y \equiv 3 ~~(mod~ 631)~~~~--(1)[/tex]
[tex]2x + 3y \equiv 2 ~~(mod~ 631)~~~~--(2)[/tex]

Let's do (1)*2 - (2)*3 ; this is legal since the modulo is the same for both congruences.[tex]6x + 4y \equiv 6 ~~(mod~ 631)~~~~--(3)[/tex]
[tex]6x + 9y \equiv 6 ~~(mod~ 631)~~~~--(4)[/tex]

Subtracting gives : [tex]5y \equiv 0~~ (mod~631) [/tex]

What does this tell you about 'y' ? Plug that back in and figure out what 'x' should be.

Wow, I am retarded :rofl: ! Thanks for pointing that out Gokul. Hmm, 3 times 3 is 9, and not 6, interesting! :rofl: Thanks Gokul!

[tex]2x + 3y \equiv 2 mod 631[/tex]
[tex]3x + 2y \equiv 3 mod 631[/tex]

Did you notice that the right hand side is the same as the coefficients of x on the left? Hmm, suppose x= 1?

HallsofIvy said:
Did you notice that the right hand side is the same as the coefficients of x on the left? Hmm, suppose x= 1?
That's the clever way to do it. Us mortals have to turn the cranks... :biggrin:

What is a congruence?

A congruence is a mathematical statement that describes the relationship between two quantities that have the same remainder when divided by a given number.

How do you solve simultaneous congruences?

To solve simultaneous congruences, you can use the Chinese Remainder Theorem. This theorem states that if you have a set of congruences with relatively prime moduli, you can find a unique solution that satisfies all of them.

What is the difference between solving congruences simultaneously and solving them individually?

Solving congruences simultaneously means finding a solution that satisfies all of the congruences at the same time. Solving them individually means finding a solution for each congruence separately without considering the other congruences.

Can you solve congruences with non-integer solutions?

No, congruences are typically solved for integer solutions. However, there are some cases where non-integer solutions may be considered, such as in modular arithmetic.

Are there any real-world applications of solving congruences simultaneously?

Yes, solving congruences simultaneously has many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and engineering. It is used to create secure codes, design error-correcting algorithms, and optimize system designs.