What's your area and level of expertise?

by Moonbear
Tags: expertise
Ken Ramos
Dec9-05, 07:56 PM
P: 3
I am not an expert on anything in the biological sciences, however I am an amateur protozoologist and macro and microphotographer. I enjoy learning from others and sharing that which I have learned and photographed in the smaller world of nature. Attached is a sample of my work. Paramecium spp. @ 400X Zeiss Axiostar equipped with a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera attached to the trinocular port of the microscope head. Image is @ 7 megapixel.

As for my real area of expertise, I am an Air Launched Missile and Guided Missile Systems Technician. Of course this has no real relavence to biology does it?
Attached Thumbnails
A00020 Paramecium.jpg  
Astronuc
Dec10-05, 04:39 PM
Admin
P: 21,634
Quote Quote by Ken Ramos
@ 400X Zeiss Axiostar equipped with a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera attached to the trinocular port of the microscope head.
Where do I get one of those?

I suppose I can order an Axiostar from Zeiss and find a compatible digital camera.
Dr.Brain
Dec18-05, 02:07 AM
P: 543
I am in second year of MSc(Hons). Biological Sciences , I am doing a dual degree with Computer Sciences.

BJ
shruth
Dec28-05, 11:39 PM
P: 37
Hi! I'm a newbie. Just entered my first year of grad school in neuroscience after finishing medschool. Still in my lab rotations and torn between deciding whether to go molecular or electrophysiological!
adrenaline
Dec29-05, 11:08 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 274
Quote Quote by shruth
Hi! I'm a newbie. Just entered my first year of grad school in neuroscience after finishing medschool. Still in my lab rotations and torn between deciding whether to go molecular or electrophysiological!

so are you in the Md?Phd track or just a career change? Plan on going back to clinical medicine or full time research or both? congrats!
shruth
Dec29-05, 12:19 PM
Quote Quote by adrenaline
so are you in the Md?Phd track or just a career change? Plan on going back to clinical medicine or full time research or both? congrats!
Thank you epinephrine :-)
I'm done with my MD (both literally and figuratively) and am planning on a career as a full time neuroscientist.
Moonbear
Dec29-05, 02:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
Quote Quote by shruth
That's great! Glad to have you on board! Have you seen the Mind & Brain forum here yet? We have enough neuroscientists around here to make it worth splitting the neuro stuff from the other biology. Well, after doing your clinical rotations in med school, you should be well-prepared to handle the long hours in the lab that grad school demands.
RYAN2008
Dec30-05, 07:27 PM
P: 1
Hello everyone,
I am currently an undergrad student majoring in Biological Sciences and Chemistry. Although I may not have much experience in the field it is definetly my passion. My specific field of interest is molecular genetics in prokaryotes. I am new to this site and hope to learn a great deal from others here. I am undecided as to what I want to pursue as my career. Looking into dental school but also open to graduate programs.
Schrodinger's Dog
Jan24-06, 04:55 AM
P: 1,142
I have a GCSE(about the equivalent of your US education in biology at age 16 in an exam) hehe. I supose you don't have to have letters after your name to have a keen interest in any subject. Also did a course in general A level science(high score graduate level) as a precursur to a physics Degree which I've just started(well a maths course actually but same difference). Saying that I can put letters after my name cause of that cause it was a university qualification. Cool I wanna see my bank manager be nice to me for a change
Quote Quote by Ken Ramos
I am not an expert on anything in the biological sciences, however I am an amateur protozoologist and macro and microphotographer. I enjoy learning from others and sharing that which I have learned and photographed in the smaller world of nature. Attached is a sample of my work. Paramecium spp. @ 400X Zeiss Axiostar equipped with a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera attached to the trinocular port of the microscope head. Image is @ 7 megapixel.
As for my real area of expertise, I am an Air Launched Missile and Guided Missile Systems Technician. Of course this has no real relavence to biology does it?
Oh I think it does when those things hit

Guns don't kill people Physics and biology do
Monique
Jan24-06, 05:14 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,613
Quote Quote by Schrodinger's Dog
Elaborate, that does not make sense.
shruth
Jan24-06, 11:08 AM
Quote Quote by Schrodinger's Dog

Neither guns, nor physics nor biology kill people. It is people who kill people. It is the job of biology to figure out why they do so.
Evo
Jan24-06, 11:37 AM
Mentor
P: 25,940
Quote Quote by shruth
Neither guns, nor physics nor biology kill people. It is people who kill people. It is the job of biology to figure out why they do so.
I've never known that to be a part of biology.
Monique
Jan24-06, 01:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,613
Quote Quote by Evo
I've never known that to be a part of biology.
It isn't.

And biology does kill people: diseases
DocToxyn
Jan24-06, 02:32 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 432
Quote Quote by Monique
It isn't.

And biology does kill people: diseases

Don't forget toxins and toxicants .
Schrodinger's Dog
Jan24-06, 11:52 PM
P: 1,142
I was joking you know

I think blood being sucked out of you and your heart stopping has something to do with biology and physics.

I agree with Goldy Looking Chains view of guns anyway:

Guns don't kill people rappers do, I saw it in a documentary on BBC2
fstam2
Feb16-06, 05:55 AM
P: 10
Hello everyone, I love this site. It has been a lifesaver when completely confused. I am finishing my last year towards a BS in Wildlife Biology. I am very interested in population viability analysis, predator-prey relationships, conservation biology, and all things dealing with management of wildlife populations.
Keep up the good work.
Orefa
Feb22-06, 11:35 AM
P: 160
Hello all, here's my illustrated story! I studied Health Sciences in college. I would surely have preferred Pure Science which would have led me to Physics and Engineering but this was unrealistic given my aversion for math. So I obtained a diploma that was a pre-requisite to veterinary medicine and finished my DVM in 1980. As it turned out I didn't care much for this field but I was too proud to drop out so I completed the program. I didn't go into practice but did government work in animal health and meat inspection instead. After the house was paid off I resigned from an easy, good-paying job and returned to school to do a BSc in Computing Science. Now I program, I make a whole lot less money, and I enjoy it a lot more!
DrDeath
Feb22-06, 03:53 PM
P: 47
well ive got an Adv NVQ in general science, and lvl 2 FE award in life sciences, A level chemistry, and a general love of human biology. and i now work retail managment?

Register to reply