Are AOL Account Holders Receiving Emails from PF?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I would throw the case out. I think at this point, if you have AOL, any computer problems should be your own fault no matter whos fault it actually is :rofl:
are you receiving emails from pf?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you mean members with aol accounts who have email notifications turned on?

I have in the past, but not recently.

I turned off the email notification, and I usually keep my PM storage open. :biggrin:

We planning to cancel AOL soon! :grumpy: Should be fun. :rolleyes:

:O Astronuc has aol?!

But but... he's normally so impossibly smart :frown:

Not on AOL, but still no emails from PF

Greg Bernhardt said:
are you receiving emails from pf?
FYI, I haven't received email notifications in months. (Yes, "instant notification" is still turned on; No, I don't have AOL.) I no longer get any email notifications: not for new posts in subscribed threads nor for reported posts in the forums I moderate.

Am I the only one not getting them? (I thought this was a bug that came with the last upgrade.)

In any case, I've learned to live without them just fine. (Since I'm on PF so much anyway, clicking on subscribed threads works just fine.)

I still get them

I have no AOL account but haven't received an email notification for new PMs either, although it is checked in my user-options. It works on other vBulletin forums I visit. The confirmation email after I registered myself here at PF was delivered though.

I have a question regarding "Email username" and "Email server" under the profile. They are referring to an "email gateway page". :confused: What is that supposed to do? :redface:

Regards,

nazzard

Doc Al said:
FYI, I haven't received email notifications in months. (Yes, "instant notification" is still turned on; No, I don't have AOL.) I no longer get any email notifications: not for new posts in subscribed threads nor for reported posts in the forums I moderate.

Am I the only one not getting them? (I thought this was a bug that came with the last upgrade.)

In any case, I've learned to live without them just fine. (Since I'm on PF so much anyway, clicking on subscribed threads works just fine.)
I haven't been getting the reported posts e-mails in moths.

Pengwuino said:
:O Astronuc has aol?!

But but... he's normally so impossibly smart :frown:
:rofl: We've had AOL since about '96, back when it was reasonably better than it is now. Then we had dial up. The wife like it (it's her account), so we kept it - until it crashed on her machine and she lost some data. Hence the change.

I still have to try to recover her data. :rolleyes:

I heard recently of a class-action lawsuit against AOL. :biggrin:

I can't wait for my wife to try to cancel AOL. If they give us a hard time, I will be most certainly contacting the state Attorney General. :biggrin:

Evo said:
I haven't been getting the reported posts e-mails in moths.

I thought they came in packets :smile:

wolram said:
I thought they came in packets :smile:
:rofl: I'm not doing too well today.

Astronuc said:
I have in the past, but not recently.

I turned off the email notification, and I usually keep my PM storage open. :biggrin:

We planning to cancel AOL soon! :grumpy: Should be fun. :rolleyes:

Dear god, you use AOL? Are you MAD?! :confused: :confused: :confused:

When we switched to Verizon a while back, the guy on the phone was like, "for only $5.00 a month you can still use AIM and your AOL email account"...I was like, or I can use aim for free, and a free email account. No thanks.

Is AOL the only ISP that you get emails for penis enlargement and breast enhancement by the dozens?

I know an elderly couple that uses AOL and gets these emails all the time. I know that they are not going to these types of websites, which only means AOL sells out their members email account addresses...bastards

Last edited:
Astronuc said:

I would throw the case out. I think at this point, if you have AOL, any computer problems should be your own fault no matter whos fault it actually is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Dear god, you use AOL? Are you MAD?!
I was ready to give it up along time ago.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Is AOL the only ISP that you get emails for male or female enhancment by the dozens?
No, the spam filter removes most before they get to the email storage on the AOL server.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I know an elderly couple that uses AOL and gets these emails all the time. I know that they are not going to these types of websites, which only means AOL sells out their members email account addresses...
Likely they have an earlier/older version of AOL. I don't think it's necessarily that AOL gives out members information, certainly not without permission. I get spammed at work, but then my work email goes out to a lot of other people. If other people are not careful, one's email address can be scattered all over the net. Then there are tracking cookies, like Bluestreak, Tribalfusion, Casalmedia, . . . . That's why anti-spyware - anti-adware is necessary.

I wonder if the AOL filter is catching PF emails?

Astronuc said:
:rofl: We've had AOL since about '96, back when it was reasonably better than it is now. Then we had dial up. The wife like it (it's her account), so we kept it - until it crashed on her machine and she lost some data. Hence the change.

I still have to try to recover her data. :rolleyes:

I can't wait for my wife to try to cancel AOL. If they give us a hard time, I will be most certainly contacting the state Attorney General. :biggrin:
Haven't you read the horror stories about cancelling an AOL account?!

back in the '90's when we had(and cancelled, because it sucked) AOL, it took at least an hour on the phone:frown:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Is AOL the only ISP that you get emails for penis enlargement and breast enhancement by the dozens?
Nah, both my hotmail and gmail accounts get those too. Of course, both have fairly good spam filters, so they all wind up in the junk mailboxes.

Astronuc said:
I wonder if the AOL filter is catching PF emails?
I'm guessing that's the point of this thread, even though it wasn't explained. AOL has a nasty habit of blocking emails from entire ISPs for no particular reason. All of our university's emails were being filtered from AOL for a while. Once they found out, it took about 3 days to straighten it out.

yomamma said:
Haven't you read the horror stories about cancelling an AOL account?!
Yeah, I am looking forward to the phone call. :biggrin: Maybe I'll record it for quality assurance. :rofl: :rolleyes:

You want to hear something odd, back in the day I made an msn account, before they switched over to hotmail...so my email ends in msn.com and not hotmail.com

Since I created that account, I have *NEVER* once gotten a junk email, *EVER.* I never even touched a filter setting. :biggrin:

Doc Al said:

I am not getting any emails from PF either. I don't have aol though. I use Comcast and ATT but neither of them get PF mail.

I'm not sure if something has been changed, but I received an email notification for a new PM a day ago for the first time (no aol-account).

Regards,

nazzard

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of "members with aol accounts" in scientific research?

AOL, or America Online, was an early internet service provider that was popular in the 1990s and early 2000s. As a scientist, studying "members with aol accounts" may provide insight into the behaviors and trends of internet users during that time period.

2. Is the use of AOL accounts still relevant in current research?

While the use of AOL accounts has significantly decreased in recent years, it can still be relevant in certain research studies that focus on specific demographics or time periods. However, it is important to consider the limitations and biases that may come with studying this particular group.

3. How can the data from AOL accounts be accessed for research purposes?

AOL accounts are no longer widely used, so accessing data from them may be difficult. However, researchers may be able to obtain archived data from the company or through partnerships with other organizations.

4. Are there any ethical considerations when studying "members with aol accounts"?

As with any research involving human subjects, it is important to consider ethical implications when studying "members with aol accounts". This may include obtaining informed consent, protecting the privacy and confidentiality of participants, and ensuring that the study does not cause harm or discomfort to the participants.

5. What insights can be gained from studying "members with aol accounts"?

Studying "members with aol accounts" can provide valuable insights into the early days of internet usage and how it has evolved over time. It may also provide insights into the behaviors and characteristics of a specific demographic or community. However, it is important to acknowledge the limitations of studying this particular group and to interpret the findings accordingly.