Unable to find how to hide email address for PF account

• Complaint
  • Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of the option to show or hide email addresses in user profiles on Physicsforums. It is mentioned that email addresses are private by default and cannot be found in user profiles. The speaker recalls the previous availability of this option on the old forum software and notes that it is not currently available on the current platform. The only way for members to contact each other directly is through the "conversation" system.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
What? We no longer able to choose to show or hide our email address in our profile on Physicsforums? If can, then where is it? I looked thoroughly but cannot find the option.

Physics news on Phys.org
I typed mine into the search function but nothing came up. I thought all email addresses were not publicly visible hence no need for option to hide them.

symbolipoint said:
What? We no longer able to choose to show or hide our email address in our profile on Physicsforums? If can, then where is it? I looked thoroughly but cannot find the option.
Email addresses are private by default, unless you decide to explicitly type it in your "About". No online forum I know of makes email addresses public.

Likes mfb and jedishrfu
I don't see your email in your profile: https://www.physicsforums.com/members/symbolipoint.58864/#about

Likes jim mcnamara
Wrichik Basu said:
Email addresses are private by default, unless you decide to explicitly type it in your "About". No online forum I know of makes email addresses public.
That is useful; I thought that we did have the option a few years ago.

Likes Wrichik Basu
jack action said:
I don't see your email in your profile: https://www.physicsforums.com/members/symbolipoint.58864/#about
So it is not available as an option. I and we can comfortably live with that.

IIRC the old forum software had an option to allow other users to contact you via email, without actually revealing your email address. I think I remember turning that option off, or leaving it off if it was enabled by default. I haven't found anything like that currently under "MY PF". As far as I can tell, any direct contact between members has to be via the "conversation" (formerly "private message") system.

Likes berkeman and symbolipoint

1. Why do I need to hide my email address for my PF account?

Hiding your email address for your PF account can help protect your personal information and prevent potential hacking or phishing attempts. It also adds an extra layer of security to your account.

2. How can I hide my email address for my PF account?

The process of hiding your email address for your PF account may vary depending on the specific platform or website you are using. However, in general, you can usually find the option to hide your email address in your account settings or privacy settings. Look for an option to change your email visibility or to hide your email from public view.

3. Will hiding my email address affect my ability to access my PF account?

No, hiding your email address for your PF account should not affect your ability to access your account. You will still be able to log in using your email address and password as usual.

4. Can I choose who can see my email address for my PF account?

Yes, some platforms or websites may allow you to customize your privacy settings and choose who can see your email address. This could include options such as making your email address visible to only your connections or friends.

5. Is it necessary to hide my email address for my PF account if I have a strong password?

While having a strong password is important, it is still a good idea to hide your email address for your PF account. This adds an extra layer of security and protection for your personal information. It is always better to take extra precautions to safeguard your account.