Wether a point is stable unstable or other

In summary: I think what you are missing is that the fixed points, x= 1, x= 2, are the only places where f(x) is equal to x. If x0= 1.1, for example, x1= 1.01, x2= 1.0001, etc. going closer and closer to 1. If x0= 2.1, then x1= 2.18, x2= 2.4944, x3= 2.2194, etc. going away from 2. The only places where x1= x0 are 1 and 2. That's what makes them fixed points.In summary,
pokerfan91
got a question Xn+1=X2n-4Xn+6

so from there we play arround with Xs and get roots of Xs =2 or 3 then we sub that into F'(x) giving answers of 2therefore unstable and 0therefore stable i understand all of the question apart from the stable and unstable part could someone please tell me why these points are stable and or unstable and where else they are stable or unstable and any other possible results if there are any. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
pokerfan91 said:
got a question Xn+1=X2n-4Xn+6

so from there we play arround with Xs and get roots of Xs =2 or 3 then we sub that into F'(x) giving answers of 2therefore unstable and 0therefore stable i understand all of the question apart from the stable and unstable part could someone please tell me why these points are stable and or unstable and where else they are stable or unstable and any other possible results if there are any. thanks

The fact that x= x2- 4x+ 6 when x= 2 or x= 3 is what told you that 2 and 3 are "fixed points" for this iteration. That is, if x0= 2 or 3, It remains that: if x0= 2, then x1= 22- 4(2)+ 6= 2, x2= 2, etc. Similarly, if x0= 3, then x1= 32- 4(3)+ 6= 3, etc.

Now, what happens is x0 is close to 2 but not equal to 2? That is, suppose x= 2.1. Then x1= 2.12- 4(2.1)+ 6= 2.01, x2= 2.012- 4(2.01)+ 6= 2.001, etc. Similarly, if x0= 1.9, x1= 1.92- 4(1.9)+ 6= 2.01 and again that goes back toward 2. x= 2 is a "stable" point because if you start with a value slightly off 2, it doesn't matter- it goes quickly back to 2.

If x0 is close to 3 but not equal to 3, what happens? If x0= 3.1, then x1[/sub]= 3.21, x2= 3.4641, etc. going away from 3. x= 3 is an "unstable" point.

Those are the only two possibilities for this case and only fixed points (more generally called "equilibrium points") can be "stable" or "unstable".

A ball sitting at the bottom of a hole is in a 'stable' position because if it is disturbed slightly it will roll back to the bottom. A ball sitting at the top of a hill is in an 'unstable' position because if it is disturbed slightly it will roll AWAY from the hill.

Of course, looking at a few values doesn't really guarantee what happens "as n goes to infinity" but notice that, taking f(x)= x2- 4x+ 6, f'(2)< 1 while f'(3)> 1. That is what tells you one is "stable" and the other "unstable".

for the question n+1=X2n-2Xn+2

one of the roots is 1, now if i take 1.1 and put it in i get a negitive and if i take 0.9 i get a positive does this make is a saddle point? also F'(x)=0 what do the F'(x) values indicate? something about being smaller or larger than 1

pokerfan91 said:
for the question Xn+1=X2n-2Xn+2

one of the roots is 1, now if i take 1.1 and put it in i get a negitive and if i take 0.9 i get a positive does this make is a saddle point? also F'(x)=0 what do the F'(x) values indicate? something about being smaller or larger than 1
Okay, fixed points are given by x= x2- 2x+ 2 or x2- 3x+ 2= (x- 1)(x- 2)= 0 and so are x= 1 and x= 2.

However, if you set x0= 1.1 you get x1= 1.12- 2(1.1)+ 2= 1.01, not a negative number.

For your second question, yes, as I said before, if |f'(x)|> 1 at a fixed point, then the point is unstable, if |f'(x)|< 1, it is stable. In this case, f'(x)= 2x- 2 so |f'(1)= 0< 1 and f'(2)= 2> 1. x= 1 is stable, x= 2 is unstable.

1. How can I determine if a point is stable, unstable, or other?

To determine the stability of a point, you must analyze the behavior of the system around that point. This involves examining the derivatives of the system's equations and evaluating them at the point in question. If the derivatives are all negative, the point is stable. If they are all positive, the point is unstable. If the derivatives are a mix of positive and negative, the point is considered "other" and its stability cannot be determined without further analysis.

2. What is the significance of a stable point in a system?

A stable point in a system is one that the system will tend towards in the long run. This means that any small disturbances or errors will eventually be corrected and the system will return to this point. Stable points are important for ensuring the stability and predictability of a system.

3. Can a point be both stable and unstable at the same time?

No, a point can only have one stability classification at a time. However, a point can be stable in one direction and unstable in another, known as a saddle point. This means that the system will tend towards the point in one direction, but away from it in another.

4. How does the number of stable points in a system affect its behavior?

The number of stable points in a system can greatly affect its behavior. If there are multiple stable points, the system may alternate between them or exhibit chaotic behavior. If there are no stable points, the system may not have a predictable long-term behavior.

5. Is there a way to make an unstable point stable?

Yes, it is possible to make an unstable point stable by introducing external controls or feedback mechanisms. These can help to dampen or correct any deviations from the unstable point, making it stable in the long run. However, this requires careful analysis and implementation to ensure the stability of the system as a whole.