Time-average Poynting vector of crystal scattering

In summary, the intensity of scattered radiation from a crystal after irradiating with X-rays can be calculated by taking the time-average of the norm of the Poynting vector of the scattered em-field, which leads to an expression for the resulting scattered intensity. This can be derived from the definition of the Poynting vector and its intensity, and involves approximations such as \left< (\mathcal{R}e(K))^{2}\cos^{2}( \ldots)\right>_{t}\approx\left< (\mathcal{R}e(K))^{2}\right>_{t}\left< \cos^{2}( \ldots)\right>_{t}=\frac{1}{2}\left
Wox
To calculate the intensity of the scattered radiation from a crystal after irradiating with X-rays, one can add up all electromagnetic fields of the oscillating electrons (calculated using the Liénard–Wiechert potential). Taking the time-average of the norm of the Poynting vector of the scattered em-field, leads to an expression for the resulting scattered intensity. If the incident radiation is an electromagnetic plane wave with electric field
[tex]
\bar{E}(t,\bar{x})=\bar{E}_{0}e^{-i(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t)}
[/tex]
then the term [itex]\cos^{2}(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t+c^{te})[/itex] is the only time dependent term of the Poynting vector and its average is [itex]1/2[/itex]. However, the electrons are moving in the atom, the atoms undergo thermal motion and the [itex]\bar{E}_{0}[/itex] is also time dependent (e.g. unpolarized light). Therefore the appear more time-dependent terms in the Poynting vector. This is implicitly dealt with in many textbooks by considering the time average of each of these processes separately. The time average of the electron motion leads to the atomic scattering factor, the time average of the atomic thermal motion leads to the Debye Waller factor and the time average of [itex]\bar{E}_{0}[/itex] leads to the polarization factor. But why can these be averaged independently? Mathematically, it is like saying that "the integral of a product of functions" is "the product of the integrals of these functions". When is this a valid approximation?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking at normal Bragg peaks, the only thing that counts is that thermally displaced atoms contribute less to the scattered intensity.

If you are looking at other positions in reciprocal space you have to be more careful. And as you say, the usual approximations do not hold. The end result is what is called "thermal diffuse scattering" that can give information about phonons and other things.

http://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/18627

Even at Bragg peaks you can get odd effects. These are fairly exotic, so you don't really have to worry about them.

http://www.esrf.eu/UsersAndScience/Publications/Highlights/2003/HRRS/HRRS13/

Thermal diffuse scattering and the lowering of the Bragg peak intensities due to thermal motion (Debye Waller factor) is all derived from stating that the scattered intensity (which is the time-averaged norm of the Poynting vector) given by
[tex]
I=c^{te}\left< K.K^{\ast}\right>_{t}
[/tex]
where
[tex]
K=\sum_{j}f_{j}e^{i\bar{Q}\cdot(\bar{x}_{j}+ \bar{\delta x}_{j}(t))}
[/tex]
with [itex]\bar{x}_{j}[/itex] the equilibrium position of the atom, [itex]\bar{\delta x}_{j}(t)[/itex] the thermal displacement and [itex]K^{\ast}[/itex] the complex conjugate. However, I don't see how one can arrive at this from the definition of the Poynting vectors and its intensity:
[tex]
I=\left< \|\bar{P}\|\right>_{t}=\frac{1}{\mu_{0}}\left<\| \mathcal{R}e(\bar{E})\times\mathcal{R}e(\bar{B})\|\right>_{t}
[/tex]
If we know that the instantanious scattered field is given by
[tex]
\bar{E}(t,\bar{x})=\frac{r_{e}}{\|\bar{x}\|}.\| \bar{E}_{0}\| .K.((\hat{x}\cdot\hat{E}_{0})\hat{x}-\hat{E}_{0}).e^{i(\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}\cdot \bar{x}-\omega t)}
[/tex]
[tex]
\bar{B}(t,\bar{x})=\frac{1}{\omega} \bar{k}_{\text{scat}}\times \bar{E}(t,\bar{x})
[/tex]
[tex]
\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}=\|\bar{k}\|\hat{x}
[/tex]
where [itex]\bar{k}[/itex] the wave vector of the incoming wave and [itex]\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}[/itex] the wave vector of the scattered wave, then the intensity is given by

[tex]
I=c\epsilon_{0}.\frac{r_{e}^{2}}{\bar{x}^{2}}.\bar{E}_{0}^{2} .(1-(\hat{x}\cdot\hat{E}_{0})^{2}). \left< S^{2}\right>_{t}
[/tex]
[tex]
S=\mathcal{R}e(K)cos(\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}\cdot \bar{x}-\omega t)-\mathcal{I}m(K)sin(\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t)
[/tex]
Therefore, one should be able to write
[tex]
\left< S^{2}\right>_{t}=c^{te}\left< K.K^{\ast}\right>_{t}
[/tex]
Since [itex]\left< S^{2}\right>_{t}[/itex] is written as
[tex]
\left< S^{2}\right>_{t}=\left< (\mathcal{R}e(K))^{2}\cos^{2}( \ldots)\right>_{t}+\left< (\mathcal{I}m(K))^{2}\sin^{2}(\ldots)\right>_{t}-2\left< \mathcal{R}e(K)\mathcal{I}m(K)\cos(\ldots)\sin( \ldots)\right>_{t}
[/tex]
this can only be possible when we write
[tex]
\left< (\mathcal{R}e(K))^{2}\cos^{2}( \ldots)\right>_{t}\approx\left< (\mathcal{R}e(K))^{2}\right>_{t}\left< \cos^{2}( \ldots)\right>_{t}=\frac{1}{2}\left< (\mathcal{R}e(K))^{2}\right>_{t}
[/tex]
[tex]
\left< (\mathcal{I}m(K))^{2}\sin^{2}(\ldots)\right>_{t} \approx\left< (\mathcal{I}m(K))^{2}\right>_{t}\left<\sin^{2}( \ldots)\right>_{t}=\frac{1}{2}\left< (\mathcal{I}m(K))^{2}\right>_{t}
[/tex]
[tex]
-2\left< \mathcal{R}e(K)\mathcal{I}m(K)\cos(\ldots)\sin( \ldots)\right>_{t} \approx -2\left< \mathcal{R}e(K)\mathcal{I}m(K)\right>_{t}\left< \cos(\ldots)\sin( \ldots)\right>_{t}=0
[/tex]
so that
[tex]
\left< S^{2}\right>_{t}= \frac{1}{2}\left< (\mathcal{R}e(K))^{2} + (\mathcal{I}m(K))^{2}\right>_{t}=\frac{1}{2}\left< K.K^{\ast} \right>_{t}
[/tex]
However, I'm not sure how to justify the approximations made (I have never seen them made explicitly in textbooks, but according to the reasoning from above, they are made implicitly). After all they state that the integral of a product is the product of integrals, as the time average is an integral over time.

1. What is the Time-average Poynting vector of crystal scattering?

The Time-average Poynting vector of crystal scattering is a measure of the average energy flow of electromagnetic waves scattered by a crystal. It takes into account both the amplitude and phase of the scattered waves, making it a more accurate representation of the energy transfer compared to the instantaneous Poynting vector.

2. How is the Time-average Poynting vector of crystal scattering calculated?

The Time-average Poynting vector of crystal scattering is calculated by taking the average of the Poynting vector over a certain period of time. This requires knowledge of the amplitude and phase of the scattered waves, which can be obtained through experimental measurements or theoretical calculations.

3. What is the significance of the Time-average Poynting vector in crystal scattering?

The Time-average Poynting vector is an important quantity in crystal scattering as it provides information about the energy transfer and direction of propagation of the scattered waves. It can also be used to calculate the scattering efficiency of a crystal, which is useful in understanding its optical properties.

4. How does the Time-average Poynting vector change with different crystal structures?

The Time-average Poynting vector can vary significantly with different crystal structures due to the different scattering properties of each crystal. The direction and amplitude of the scattered waves depend on the crystal's lattice structure, refractive index, and orientation relative to the incident wave. Therefore, the Time-average Poynting vector can be a useful tool for studying crystal structures and their optical properties.

5. What are some applications of the Time-average Poynting vector in crystal scattering?

The Time-average Poynting vector has various applications in crystal scattering, including studying the optical properties of crystals, characterizing crystal structures, and designing optical devices such as waveguides and lasers. It is also useful in understanding the interaction of electromagnetic waves with matter, which has applications in materials science, telecommunications, and photonics.