Computing Copper Loss: Examples & Reduction Strategies

In summary, Copper loss is the power lost because of the resistance in the wires. P = I2R. Big wires have less resistance, but with AC current there is such a thing as the "skin effect", which means that most of the current is concentrated around the surface of the conductor, lowering the effective cross sectional area of the conductor and increasing its resistance. If you have an inductive load (induction motor, for example) with a poor power factor, a capacitor could reduce the reactive current and the resultant current demand at the meter. Power meters usually measure only real power, and not reactive power, however, so as you point out, only the extra I2R losses in the copper are reduced.
energysaver
Good day. just want to ask anyone about copper loss. How is it computed for example in a manufacturing plant or in a dept mall.Could anyone give an illustration/example?

Also , is it true that copper loss can be reduced by using big wires?What if the wire is big enough?

thank you. hope you can help me...

Engineering news on Phys.org
energysaver said:
Good day. just want to ask anyone about copper loss. How is it computed for example in a manufacturing plant or in a dept mall.Could anyone give an illustration/example?

Also , is it true that copper loss can be reduced by using big wires?What if the wire is big enough?

thank you. hope you can help me...
Copper loss is the power lost because of the resistance in the wires. P = I2R.

Big wires have less resistance, but with AC current there is such a thing as the "skin effect", which means that most of the current is concentrated around the surface of the conductor, lowering the effective cross sectional area of the conductor and increasing its resistance.

what estimated percentage of a copper loss in a certain manufacturing plant? if i install capacitors in loads , would the demand at the meter be reduced by 10% by eliminating copper loss?...

thank you...

You are correct. If you have an inductive load (induction motor, for example) with a poor power factor, a capacitor could reduce the reactive current and the resultant current demand at the meter. Power meters usually measure only real power, and not reactive power, however, so as you point out, only the extra I2R losses in the copper are reduced.

Bob S

Hello

as our colleagues says in the above replies , copper losses is equivalent to I^2 X R

but what type of application are you going to calculate copper losses for ??

for example , if you are going to calculate copper losses for a flat busbar just calculate the resistance by knowing the cross sectional area of the bar and its length and the grade of copper you are using and then calculate it by resistivity x length divided by area then multiply the result by the current squared

but if you need to calculate this losses for temperature rise or when considering the heat effect for a transformer as an example then take into your consideration the current density , and the heat dissipation to the surrounding , and there are specific tables which can guide you to select the value of the current density in the first place as if you only looks at the value of the losses , it will not give you good indication for temperature rise

hope information was useful for you

What is copper loss in computing?

Copper loss in computing refers to the amount of energy that is lost in the form of heat due to the resistance of copper wires and components in electronic devices. This loss of energy can lead to reduced efficiency and increased operating costs.

How is copper loss calculated in computing?

Copper loss can be calculated by multiplying the square of the current flowing through a wire or component by its resistance. The unit of measurement for copper loss is watts (W).

What are some examples of copper loss in computing?

Examples of copper loss in computing include resistors, capacitors, and inductors that are used in electronic circuits. These components have a certain amount of resistance, and as current flows through them, some of the energy is lost as heat due to the resistance of the copper used in their construction.

What are some strategies for reducing copper loss in computing?

One strategy for reducing copper loss in computing is to use components with lower resistance, such as thicker copper wires or components made of materials with lower resistance. Another strategy is to optimize the design of electronic circuits to minimize the amount of current flowing through them, thereby reducing the amount of energy lost as heat.

Why is it important to reduce copper loss in computing?

Reducing copper loss in computing is important because it can improve the efficiency of electronic devices and reduce operating costs. It can also help to prolong the lifespan of components by reducing the amount of heat they generate, which can cause them to degrade over time.