Tension question (this should be basic)

• Thread starter pureouchies4717
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, a steel block attached to a hollow tube rotates on a steel table while compressed air is fed through the tube, exerting a thrust force of 4.10 N perpendicular to the tube. The maximum tension the tube can withstand is 50.0 N. With a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.6, the question is how many revolutions the block will make before the tube breaks if it starts from rest. Various equations and calculations were attempted to find the angular velocity and displacement as a function of time, and ultimately determine the time at which the centripetal force reaches the breaking point. However, the concept of inertia was not yet fully understood.
pureouchies4717
tension question on object moving in a circle (this should be basic)

A .6 kg steel block rotates on a steel table while attached to a 1.20 m-long hollow tube. Compressed air fed through the tube and ejected from a nozzle on the back of the block exerts a thrust force of 4.10 N perpendicular to the tube. The maximum tension the tube can withstand without breaking is 50.0 N. (coefficient of kinetic friction:.6) If the block starts from rest, how many revolutions does it make before the tube breaks?

knight_Figure_07_55.jpg

im stumped...

look 1 post down... I am trying

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ah i found something:

at= 6.833333 m/s^2

Fr= mat - Ff

Fr= 4.1N- Ff
= 4.1-3.528
=.572N

a(c)= .953333m/s^2

Last edited:
ok here's what i tried:

at 50N, the object is going at:
v= 10m/s

so i plugged this in the T=(mv^2)/r equation and got: T=50s, but this looks wrong, and i don't know how to get revs from this...

hmmm...

angluar velocity= (at/r)t= 284.722rad/s= 2718.89 rpm

2718.89= 45.315 revs/second

45.315 x 50 = 2265.75 revolutions (wrong)

Last edited:
guys please help me, there's only one hour left

Here's a start:

The angular acceleration is given by

[tex]I \frac {d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = r (F_T - \mu mg)[/tex]

where I is the moment of inertia (essentially just [itex]m R^2[/itex]). Use the equation solve for the angular velocity and the angular displacement as a function of time then determine the time at which the centripetal force reaches the breaking point.

Tide said:
Here's a start:

[tex]I \frac {d^2 \theta}{dt} = r (F_T - \mu mg)[/tex]

where I is the moment of inertia (essentially just [itex]m R^2[/itex]). Use the equation solve for the angular velocity and the angular displacement as a function of time then determine the time at which the centripetal force reaches the breaking point.

thank you , thank you for responding

Tide said:
Here's a start:

[tex]I \frac {d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = r (F_T - \mu mg)[/tex]

thanks so much, but i don't really get what youre saying. what does Ft mean? o, i didnt learn about inertia yet

Last edited:
guys, i don't want you to waste your time. if you arent able to help in the next 30 minutes, don't even worry about it

Related to Tension question (this should be basic)

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched. It is a type of mechanical stress that is caused by opposing forces acting on an object.

2. How do you measure tension?

Tension can be measured using a device called a tension meter or by using a force sensor. These tools measure the amount of force required to stretch or pull an object, and this value is used to determine the tension.

3. What factors affect tension?

The factors that affect tension include the weight of the object, the distance it is being pulled or stretched, and the type of material it is made of. Additionally, external forces such as gravity or friction can also impact tension.

4. How does tension affect structures?

In structures, tension plays a crucial role in maintaining stability and preventing collapse. For example, the tension in a suspension bridge's cables helps distribute the weight of the bridge evenly, making it more stable.

5. Can tension be beneficial?

Yes, tension can be beneficial in various scenarios. In engineering and construction, tension is used to strengthen and stabilize structures. In biology, tension helps maintain the shape and structure of cells. In music, tension is used to create emotional impact in a piece of music.