A block spins around a circle with thrust

In summary, a 400g steel block attached to a 1.20m-long hollow tube rotates on a steel table while being propelled by compressed air. The maximum tension the tube can withstand is 60.0N and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and table is 0.60. Using the equations for force and motion, it was determined that the block would make approximately 218.5 revolutions before the tube breaks, taking into account the effects of friction.
oneamp

Homework Statement

A 400g steel block rotates on a steel table while attached to a 1.20m -long hollow tube. Compressed air fed through the tube and ejected from a nozzle on the back of the block exerts a thrust force of 4.71N perpendicular to the tube. The maximum tension the tube can withstand without breaking is 60.0N . Assume the coefficient of kinetic friction between steel block and steel table is 0.60. (Figure 1)

If the block starts from rest, how many revolutions does it make before the tube breaks?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fbreak = 60 N = mv^2/r → v = sqrt(60r/m) m/s = 180 m/s
a = F/m m/s^2 = 11.775 m/s^2
t = v/a = 15.2866242
s = at^2/2 = 1372.875167
theta = s/r = 1372.875167
revs = theta/(2pi) = 218.499...

Where am I going wrong? I only get a couple of more attempts then the question is locked out... please help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, oneamp.

In the first line of your solution, did you forget to take the square root?

Also, did you take into account the friction?

Yes those are both mistakes I made, thank you. Now I am trying to figure out where to put friction...

oneamp said:
Now I am trying to figure out where to put friction...

Think about the direction of the friction force.

Ok I got it! Thank you very much for pointing those things out to me!

What is the meaning of "A block spins around a circle with thrust"?

The phrase "A block spins around a circle with thrust" refers to a physical scenario in which a block of material is rotating around a central point while being propelled forward by an external force, known as thrust.

What causes a block to spin around a circle with thrust?

A block spins around a circle with thrust because of the combination of two forces acting upon it: centripetal force, which keeps the block moving in a circular path, and thrust force, which propels the block forward.

What is the relationship between thrust and the speed of the rotating block?

The speed of the rotating block is directly proportional to the amount of thrust being applied. This means that the greater the thrust force, the faster the block will spin around the circle.

How does the direction of thrust affect the motion of the block spinning around a circle?

The direction of thrust has a significant impact on the motion of the block. If the thrust force is applied in the same direction as the block's rotation, it will increase the speed of the rotation. However, if the thrust force is applied in the opposite direction, it will slow down or even stop the rotation of the block.

What other factors can affect the rotation of a block around a circle with thrust?

In addition to thrust force, the mass of the block, the radius of the circle, and the amount of friction between the block and the surface it is rotating on can also affect the rotation. Changes in these factors can alter the speed or direction of the block's rotation.