Why Is 13.6 Used in Bohr's Formula for Hydrogen Atom Energy Levels?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula E=13.6-(13.6/n^2) which is used to predict the energy levels for electrons in the Hydrogen atom. The formula is derived from the Rydberg constant, which is further explained in a Wikipedia article. The video being referenced explains the relationship between the energy of an electron and its speed and attraction to the nucleus according to Coulomb's law. The conversation also expresses confusion about the origin of the number 13.6 in the formula.
jcmartinez
using this formula E=13.6-(13.6/n^2)
E = energy
n= energy level.
using that formula Bohr predicted the energy levels for each of the allowable orbits in the Hydrogen atom.

now i would like to understand why 13.6 is used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpKhjKrBn9s&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_736168

this link will take u to the video I am watching on the bohr model. its a 9 min video. but the exact spot to see where this formula is mentioned is at the 5 min 17 sec mark. so start off at about the 5 min mark and u will be able to hear him say..

the energy of an electron in a certain orbit is a function between the speed of the e-, and the attraction between the nucleus and the e-. which as coulomb's law describes, it depends on the square of the distance between them.

now i don't quite what the video ment to say by that phrase above. and i do not understand where the 13.6 comes from in the formula.

i hope someone can help me.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
your response does not help me. thank you though

The formula E=13.6-(13.6/n^2) is known as the Rydberg formula and was developed by the Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It is used to calculate the energy levels of electrons in a Hydrogen atom. The E represents the energy of the electron, while n represents the energy level or orbit that the electron is in.

The number 13.6 in the formula is known as the Rydberg constant, which is a fundamental constant in physics that relates to the energy levels of electrons in Hydrogen atoms. It is named after the Swedish physicist Johannes Rydberg, who first discovered the relationship between the frequencies of spectral lines in Hydrogen atoms.

The use of the number 13.6 in the formula is a result of the mathematical calculations and experiments that Bohr conducted. He found that this value gave the most accurate predictions for the energy levels of electrons in Hydrogen atoms. It is important to note that this value is specific to Hydrogen atoms and may differ for other elements.

In the video, the phrase "the energy of an electron in a certain orbit is a function between the speed of the e-, and the attraction between the nucleus and the e-" refers to the fact that the energy of an electron in a specific orbit is determined by both its speed and the attraction between the electron and the nucleus. This is related to Coulomb's law, which states that the force of attraction between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

I hope this helps to clarify the components and significance of the formula E=13.6-(13.6/n^2) in the Bohr model. It is important to note that this model is a simplified representation of the behavior of electrons in atoms and has been expanded upon by newer theories such as quantum mechanics.

1. What are the components of a formula?

A formula typically consists of variables, constants, operators, and functions. Variables are symbols that represent unknown quantities, constants are fixed values, operators perform mathematical operations, and functions are predefined mathematical operations.

2. How do variables affect a formula?

Variables play a crucial role in a formula as they represent the unknown quantities that can change the outcome of the formula. By assigning different values to variables, we can obtain different results from the same formula.

3. What is the purpose of using operators in a formula?

Operators are used in formulas to perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations help in manipulating the variables and constants to obtain the desired result.

4. Can a formula contain more than one function?

Yes, a formula can contain multiple functions that perform different operations on the variables and constants. These functions can also be nested within each other to create more complex formulas.

5. How do I know which function to use in a formula?

The function used in a formula depends on the mathematical operation that needs to be performed. For example, if the formula involves finding the square root of a number, we would use the square root function (SQRT) in the formula. It is important to understand the purpose of each function and choose the appropriate one for the desired outcome.