How Do You Calculate the Original Volume of Gas After Pressure Change?

In summary, a gas volume problem is a type of scientific problem that involves calculating the volume of a gas under certain conditions. To solve it, the ideal gas law equation (PV = nRT) is used, where pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles are the main variables. The units used in gas volume problems depend on the values given, and it is important to check for consistency with the ideal gas law equation. The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the main variables of an ideal gas. A gas volume problem is considered an ideal gas problem if the gas behaves like an ideal gas, following certain assumptions.
hecate
can anyone tell me the steps to do this problem?

You are given a gas that you measure under a pressure of 720 mmHg. When the pressure is changed to 760 mmHg, the volume becomes 580 mL. What was the original volume of the gas?

I don't know how to do this problem. thanx!

Physics news on Phys.org
Its this simple ratio:

[tex]\frac{P_{1}}{V_{1}} = \frac{P_{2}}{V_{2}}[/tex]

so to find [tex]V_{1}[/tex]

[tex]V_{1} = \frac {P_{1}V_{2}}{P_{2}}[/tex]

Last edited:

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with this problem! Here are the steps to solve it:

1. Write down the given information: pressure 1 (P1) = 720 mmHg, pressure 2 (P2) = 760 mmHg, volume 2 (V2) = 580 mL.

2. Use the combined gas law formula: P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where P1 and P2 are the pressures, V1 and V2 are the volumes, and T1 and T2 are the temperatures.

3. Since the temperature is constant in this problem, we can remove it from the equation. This leaves us with P1V1 = P2V2.

4. Plug in the given values: (720 mmHg)(V1) = (760 mmHg)(580 mL).

5. Solve for V1 by dividing both sides by 720 mmHg: V1 = (760 mmHg)(580 mL) / 720 mmHg.

6. Use unit conversion to convert mmHg to mL: 1 mmHg = 1 mL, so the units cancel out and we are left with V1 = 760 mL.

7. Therefore, the original volume of the gas was 760 mL. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is a gas volume problem?

A gas volume problem is a type of scientific problem that involves calculating the volume of a gas under certain conditions, such as temperature and pressure. It is often used in chemistry and physics to determine the amount of gas present in a system or to predict the behavior of a gas in a specific situation.

How do I solve a gas volume problem?

To solve a gas volume problem, you will need to use the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. You will also need to know the values for pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of gas present. Once you have all of these values, you can plug them into the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

What are the units used in gas volume problems?

The units used in gas volume problems depend on the values given in the problem. The most common units used are liters (L) for volume, atmospheres (atm) for pressure, Kelvin (K) for temperature, and moles (mol) for the number of gas particles. It is important to always check the units given in the problem and make sure they are consistent with the units used in the ideal gas law equation.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure in atmospheres, V is the volume in liters, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant (0.0821 L·atm/mol·K), and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

How do I know if a gas volume problem is an ideal gas problem?

A gas volume problem is considered an ideal gas problem if the gas in question behaves like an ideal gas. This means that it follows the assumptions of the ideal gas law, such as having particles with negligible volume and no intermolecular forces. Most gases at low pressures and high temperatures behave like ideal gases, so it is safe to assume that a gas volume problem is an ideal gas problem unless stated otherwise.