How do i stick two magnets against the repulsive force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to stick two magnets near each other against their repulsive force. The user is advised to switch to standard ferrite magnets instead of neodymium magnets, and to use epoxy glue to attach them to a wooden board. Various precautions and alternatives are also suggested to prevent injury or damage to the magnets.
vidarth
how do i stick two magnets against the repulsive force??

Hey guys,

I'm a new member on the forum and I have just finished school and joined electrical engineering this year. I would like to know how I can stick two magnets near each other against their repulsive force.

For example two magnets A and B can be stuck on a wooden board 5 cm from each other due to repulsive force. I would like to stick them 3 cms from each other. What kind of glue do I use? Epoxy?

I have not experimented yet because I wanted some advice first as some of these are costly neodynum magnets and have strong repulsive force.

note: I can not change(switch) the poles of the magnet.

Thank you.:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hey vidarth! Welcome to PF! :wink:
vidarth said:
… I have not experimented yet because I wanted some advice first as some of these are costly neodynum magnets and have strong repulsive force.

"Neodymium" magnets also have a have strong attractive force, which (depending on their size, of course) can make them very dangerous.

Are you sure you should be doing this without expert supervision?

See for example http://www.kjmagnetics.com/safety.asp, or anything from a "neodymium magnets safety" google search. :smile:

Hey,

thanks for the reply. Yes I have asked somebody (an expert) about the neodymium magnets and they told me that it was almost impossible to have a glue that could withstand the repulsive force of the magnet. So I've decided to switch to the standard ferrite magnets instead. Can you tell me if I can use epoxy glue for this??

I would get another piece of wood as thick as the magnets and drill holes in it with a spade bit so they are the right spacing and diameter for the neodymium magnets.
Glue this to the wood you already have without the magnets in the holes. Just PVA wood glue is OK. Allow 24 hours for the glue to set.

When the glue has set put the magnets in the holes. If necessary, arrange a clamp to hold the magnets in the holes. This can be almost anything that is strong enough.

If appearance matters, and you can afford it, you could use perspex or plexiglass for the magnet holder.

As someone pointed out, Neodymium magnets tend to find each other very readily and you can get bruised or bleeding fingers if they get in the way.
Also, they are brittle and chip easily if they collide violently.

What size are the magnets? A pair of 6mm x 6mm x 6mm magnets will easily hold in place with epoxy. A pair of 60mm magnets, not so much.

How about first attaching supporting blocks to your mounting board -- kind of like bookends -- to physically restrain the magnets?

Size of the magnets: 6mm

so I guess epoxide would do fine. Thanks for all the ideas.

1. How do magnets repel each other?

Magnets repel each other because they have two poles - a north pole and a south pole. Like poles (north-north or south-south) repel each other, while opposite poles (north-south) attract each other.

2. How can I stick two magnets together despite their repulsive force?

To stick two magnets together, you can either use a stronger magnet to overpower the repulsive force or use a non-magnetic material, such as a piece of paper or plastic, to separate the two magnets. This creates a barrier between the two magnets and allows them to stick together.

3. Why do magnets repel each other instead of attracting?

Magnets repel each other because of their atomic and molecular structure. Each atom in a magnet has a tiny magnetic field, and when multiple magnets are placed together, these fields interact and cause repulsion between the like poles.

4. Can I use any material to separate two repelling magnets?

Yes, you can use a variety of materials to separate two repelling magnets. Some common materials include paper, plastic, wood, and rubber. The strength of the material and the distance between the magnets will determine the effectiveness of separating them.

5. How can I make two magnets stick together permanently?

There are a few ways to make two magnets stick together permanently. One way is to use a strong adhesive, such as super glue, to bond the magnets together. Another method is to use a magnetic keeper or keeper bars, which are pieces of iron or steel that keep the magnets in place and prevent them from repelling each other.