Definitions and properties of limits (handwriting attached)

In summary, the conversation is about the use of dx and dy in integrals and their definitions. The participants discuss the importance of properly defining dx and dy and their relationship to the slope of the tangent line. It is also mentioned that integrating dy by itself does not make sense unless there is additional information about the position. The conversation also touches on the application of this knowledge in deriving the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
tolove
Could someone look over this and see if I have any mistakes? I'm trying to show that
∫ y' dx = ∫ dy through definitions.

http://imgur.com/6zCHYo5

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If dy and dx have been properly defined (which for some reason is a rare occurrence), then this equality is immediately apparent for differentiable functions. However, this is useless as a means to finding an antiderivative (which is what you're doing, since you have no bounds on your integral.)

Your proof is not much more than switching notations out. Even if it were a definite integral, dy is dependent on dx, so trying to evaluate the integral that way would be futile.

Last edited:
joeblow said:
If dy and dx have been properly defined (which for some reason is a rare occurrence), then this equality is immediately apparent for differentiable functions. However, this is useless as a means to finding an antiderivative (which is what you're doing, since you have no bounds on your integral.)

Your proof is not much more than switching notations out. Even if it were a definite integral, dy is dependent on dx, so trying to evaluate the integral that way would be futile.

What you're saying is that "What you wrote has no problems, however it's a pointless exercise and proves nothing since all you're doing is changing notations around."

If that is so, then thank you! That's more or less what I was going for. These notations have been confusing me, but I think I've made sense of them.

Well... I'd say that it "makes sense" only if it were a definite integral.

And I wasn't complaining about the uselessness of the proof, so much as the impossibility of computing the integral on the RHS.

I hope you're not using this to "prove" FTC. If you are, you should consider the change of the area under the curve with upper bound x induced by moving delta x, then find the corresponding dA.

Last edited:
I think I'm only following you in pieces (I have a pretty awful understanding of the subject!)
"If dy and dx have been properly defined (which for some reason is a rare occurrence), then this equality is immediately apparent for differentiable functions."
What do you mean by properly defining dx and dy? And by apparent, do you simply mean that this is clear to see ∫ dy/dx dx = ∫ dy? I find it very unclear to simply to see that. Mathematically, just cancel out the dx, but physical equations can become hard to visualize for me sometimes, ∫ v' dt = ∫ dv.
"the change of the area under the curve with upper bound x induced by moving delta x, then find the corresponding dA."
I don't follow this either ;_;

The physics book I'm using breaks up dx/dy in equations regularly, and I'm try to not get into the habit of just viewing dy/dx as a quotient.

Suppose we have the graph of a function. Let us approximate its shape with vectors whose horizontal component is dx and vertical component is dy. Then, the derivative of the function gives us the number we need so that [tex]dx \cdot \frac{dy}{dx}=dy.[/tex] (Typically, y is dependent on x, so we can assume that dx is the same at every point.) Thus, dy is dependent on dx AND the slope of the tangent line at the point. Thus, integrating dy by itself doesn't make sense unless you know something about the position.

If you keep in mind this relationship, you can detach dy and dx freely for differentiable functions.

To derive FTC (for functions that are almost everywhere continuous), you need to see what happens to the change in area (dA) of the function [tex]A(x)= \int_a ^x f(t)dt [/tex] when we move a small amount dx. Here, you will see that you can use dy by itself, keeping in mind the associated dx.

Last edited:

Related to Definitions and properties of limits (handwriting attached)

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the behavior of a function as the independent variable approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to describe how the output of a function changes as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How is a limit different from the value of a function at a certain point?

While the value of a function at a certain point is a specific output, a limit represents the trend or behavior of the function as the input approaches a specific value. In other words, a limit shows what the function is approaching, not necessarily what it equals at that point.

3. What are the properties of limits?

There are several properties of limits, including the sum and difference property, product property, quotient property, power property, and composition property. These properties allow us to manipulate limits algebraically to solve more complex problems.

4. How do you determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the left-hand limit and the right-hand limit are equal at the point of interest. This means that as the input gets closer and closer to the specific value, the output approaches the same value from both the left and the right sides. If this is the case, then the limit exists and is equal to that common value.

5. Can a limit be infinite?

Yes, a limit can be infinite. This occurs when the output of the function approaches positive or negative infinity as the input approaches a specific value. In this case, we say the limit diverges or is unbounded.