An integral with a fraction in it- finding the antiderivative

In summary, the student is having trouble finding the antiderivative of \frac{20}{1+x^2}-2. They tried to use the natural logarithm but ran into trouble because they needed the derivative of the denominator. They tried a trig substitution but were still unsuccessful.
BZ908
An integral with a fraction in it--need help finding the antiderivative

Homework Statement

I have the integral [tex]\int(\frac{20}{1+x^2} - 2)dx[/tex] where x = ± 3. To solve, I need to find the antiderivative of [tex]\frac{20}{1+x^2} - 2[/tex]

Now, the worksheet actually gives the answer to the problem: The antiderivative is 37.961 or 37.962. However, I'm having trouble actually reaching that answer on my own; I have trouble with the antiderivatives of fractions.

Homework Equations

Lessee... I know that the antiderivative of 1/x is ln x. When it gets any more complex than that I get confused.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I took [tex]\int(\frac{20}{1+x^2} - 2)dx[/tex] and turned it into [tex]\int(20(1+x^2)^-^1 - 2)dx[/tex]

Then, I tried to take the antiderivative. I thought it would be: [tex]20ln(1+x^2)-2x.[/tex]

Then I plugged in the x values, 3 and -3. With positive 3 plugged in, it came out to 40.052, with a negative 3 it came out to 52.052. I don't even have to finish it off with the subtraction to know that my final answer isn't right and that I missed a step (or two) somewhere. Only question is: What step did I miss? I have a feeling I was supposed to do something with the 20... And I think that there might have been more to taking the antiderivative of (1+x^2)^-1 then just turning it into a natural logarithm. Would someone please help me figure out what I forgot?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a trig sub or look up derivatives of inverse trig functions.

If you're using a trigo substitution, you may want to use this:
[tex]tan^2\theta + 1 = sec^2\theta[/tex]

That should help you.

Don't be a victim of universal logarithmic differentiation!

[tex]\int\frac{20}{1+x^2}dx[/tex] doesn't equal [tex]20*ln|1+x^2|+c[/tex]

Last edited:
If you haven't touched trig int before:

let x = tanu
dx = tanu.secu

substitute these values for x and dx

Oh hush! We all know it's 20arctanx - 2x! Cut the kid some slack!

The reason the natural logarithm didn't work was because you need the derivative of the denominator in the numerator. The derivative of 1+x^2 is 2x, and as you can see, it ain't there.

BrendanH said:
Oh hush! We all know it's 20arctanx - 2x! Cut the kid some slack!

The reason the natural logarithm didn't work was because you need the derivative of the denominator in the numerator. The derivative of 1+x^2 is 2x, and as you can see, it ain't there.

I didn't know it three-four years ago :shy:...:cry:

1. What is an integral with a fraction in it?

An integral with a fraction in it is a type of mathematical expression that involves finding the antiderivative of a function that has a fraction as one of its terms. It is typically represented by the symbol ∫ f(x) dx, where f(x) is the function and dx is the independent variable.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of an integral with a fraction in it?

To find the antiderivative of an integral with a fraction in it, you can use the power rule, which states that the antiderivative of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1). You can also use the u-substitution method or apply the properties of logarithms and exponentials.

3. What is the purpose of finding the antiderivative of an integral with a fraction in it?

The main purpose of finding the antiderivative of an integral with a fraction in it is to evaluate the original function. This is useful in various mathematical applications, such as calculating areas under curves, volumes of solids, and solving differential equations.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the antiderivative of an integral with a fraction in it?

Yes, there are special cases when finding the antiderivative of an integral with a fraction in it. One example is when the fraction in the integral is a rational function, which can be solved using partial fractions. Another case is when the function in the integral has trigonometric or logarithmic terms, which require specific integration techniques.

5. How can I check if my answer for the antiderivative of an integral with a fraction in it is correct?

You can check your answer by differentiating the antiderivative you found. If the result is equal to the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online calculators or graphing tools to verify your answer visually.