Physics Study Struggles: Anyone Else Struggling?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of understanding and solving problems in physics. The participants agree that simply seeing the solution to a problem does not equate to true understanding, and the best way to improve is to work on a variety of problems and seek help when needed. Relying on solutions or other shortcuts can hinder true comprehension.
mmg0789
i don't know what's wrong with me, but i almost always completely understand a problem once i see its solution, but without the solution, i don't get very far with it. has anybody else had this problem? if so, what do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen this many times. It means, I'm afraid, that you don't really understand the material. Following someone else's solution is not the same as understanding it yourself, just like watching other people exercise won't make you stronger.

The thing to do is to work more problems. If you don't know where to start, work a series of easier problems until you have them down cold. Then go back to the problem that is giving you trouble. If your textbook doesn't have enough problems (and it may not), get them from another text on the same subject.

I'm not so sure about that. The hardest problems are the ones where you completely understand what's going on, but you just can't see the trick to solve it. In that case you just have to keep banging your head against the wall and attacking the problem from all angles until it concedes.

mmg0789

I have the same problem!

=(

thanks all for your input.
maze, i agree with you there, after looking at the solution i always think duh...thats so obvious,why didn't i think of that. I also agree Vanadium because i guess if i truly understand the material, I'd know exactly what angle to attack the problem from.

i welcome any other opinions concerning this

I recommend you to do the maximum number of exercises you can without giving up early. If you're really stuck on a problem, post it here in the homework section. Helpers will lead you into the right direction without giving you the answer and you should be able to solve the problem almost by yourself.
For me very hard exercises are exercises I don't understand what's going on. When I can't imagine the problem... for example problems related to the rigid body. Sometimes I don't know how will evolves the system, so I really have to imagine the situation and "guess" how the masses will move. Sometimes I must ask to someone else what's going on and from it I try to solve the problem which generally is not that easy for me. And looking at the answer won't help me in most cases. (unless the problem is obvious and I didn't succeed in solving it).
So do a lot of exercises and you'll realize that many are of the same kind. You should be able to solve almost every kind of problems after a good training which implies doing well at exams.:smile:

My sainted physics 101 professor (RIP) had a sign in his office that read:
"I really understand the material. I just can't do the problems."
A refrain heard all too many times.

As Vanadium 50 advised, the solution is to seek out and solve as many problems as possible. Beware the crutch of prematurely "peeking at the solution"--it's very easy to delude yourself into thinking you understand something when you don't. Only if you struggle on your own will you develop the confidence to solve problems.

1. Why is studying physics difficult?

Studying physics can be difficult for a variety of reasons. It involves complex mathematical equations, abstract concepts, and requires a strong foundation in math and science. Additionally, the subject matter can be challenging to understand and apply to real-world situations.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

Improving your understanding of physics takes time and effort. Some strategies that may help include practicing problem-solving, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and finding real-world applications for the concepts you are learning. It is also important to review and understand the fundamentals of math and science.

3. What are some common mistakes students make when studying physics?

One common mistake is trying to memorize formulas instead of understanding the underlying concepts. Other mistakes include not practicing enough problems, not seeking help when needed, and not reviewing material regularly. It is also important to approach physics problems with a logical and analytical mindset.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying physics?

Staying motivated while studying physics can be challenging, but it is essential for success. One way to stay motivated is to set achievable goals and reward yourself when you reach them. It can also help to join a study group or find a study partner to keep you accountable and provide support. Additionally, remind yourself of your long-term goals and the potential opportunities that studying physics can bring.

5. Is it normal to struggle with physics?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with physics. It is a complex subject that requires a lot of effort and dedication to master. Many students find physics challenging, but with the right mindset and study strategies, it is possible to succeed. Remember to seek help when needed and stay persistent in your studies.