Find the Perfect Book on Archimedes for You

In summary, the conversation involves someone looking for a book with a combination of pre-calc level explanations of ideas and biographical information. The person has searched on Amazon but has not found anything appealing. They ask for suggestions and are provided with a link to a book on Greek math, which is described as being as good as it gets. The speaker also mentions that Greek math is not for beginners and suggests looking to it for historical purposes rather than for learning.
kenewbie
I'm looking for a book containing both his ideas explained at a pre-calc level as well as some biographical information.

What I have been able to dig up on amazon looks unappealing.

Any suggestions?

k

Physics news on Phys.org
I was afraid of that. Page after page of written accounts of geometry sounds too difficult to be honest.

"There are in a plane some limited curved lines, which are either wholly on the side of the straight lines, joining their limits or have nothing on the other side. So, I call "concave in the same direction" such a line, in which, if any two points whatever being taken, the straight lines between the two points either all fall on the same side of the line, or some fall on the same side and some on the line itself, but none on the other side."

I just don't have it in me to learn from stuff like that.

k

You don't need to learn Greek math. Its been incorporated into modern analytic geometry and calculus. Look to Greek only for historical reasons.

1. What is Archimedes known for?

Archimedes was a famous Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer. He is best known for discovering the principles of buoyancy and the lever, as well as his contributions to the field of geometry.

2. What books are available on Archimedes?

There are numerous books available on Archimedes, including biographies, academic works, and popular science books. Some popular titles include "Archimedes and the Door of Science" by Jeanne Bendick and "Archimedes: What Did He Do Besides Cry Eureka?" by Sherman Stein.

3. How can I find the perfect book on Archimedes for me?

To find the perfect book on Archimedes for you, consider your level of interest and knowledge on the subject. Are you looking for a general overview or a more in-depth analysis? You can also read reviews and summaries to help you choose the right book for you.

4. Are there any books specifically about Archimedes' inventions?

Yes, there are books that focus specifically on Archimedes' inventions, such as "The Genius of Archimedes - 23 Centuries of Influence on Mathematics, Science, and Engineering" by Maryanne Wolf and "The Works of Archimedes" by Thomas L. Heath.

5. Can I find books on Archimedes for children?

Yes, there are books on Archimedes geared towards children, such as "Archimedes and His Numbers" by Ann McCallum and "Archimedes and the Golden Crown" by Robert D. Ballard. These books make Archimedes' achievements and contributions accessible and engaging for young readers.