Quantum, PDE, topology, and particle physics texts, oh my

In summary, a person looking for a good textbook on quantum mechanics, modern physics, and partial differential equations this fall recommends books by Jim Baggott, Arnold Sommerfeld, and Hermann Munkres.
sciboinkhobbes
Hello all!

So, I'll be taking first-semester quantum mechanics and partial differential equations this fall, and would like to get a little bit of a head start by reading/working some problems on my own this summer. After some initial browsing, I've heard mixed-to-poor reviews concerning Griffiths for quantum, but I'm really not sure where to start; I'm looking for a nice accessible textbook that would be quite readable and not unnecessarily rigorous after one semester each of E&M and modern physics. And I have no idea which PDE texts would be good for self-study, so... (I took ODEs about a year ago, as well, but nothing more since then.)

The topology aspect is more independent interest, as I won't be able to take any sort of class on it until next spring or so at the earliest. However, having real analysis and abstract algebra courses under my belt, I think I would like to scope topology out a bit too.

Any book recommendations for any of the three subjects would be greatly appreciated! :)

P.S. Has anyone read Griffiths on Elementary Particle Physics? If so, what did you think? That's a book I've been wanting to check out for a while too.

Physics news on Phys.org
topology = Essential Topology, Springer

Concerning quantum mech, we have 100 threads about introduction books in QM in this sub-forum.

I think Griffiths for particle physics is a great book if you want to learn particle physics without knowing QFT. I'm also under the impression (although I could be wrong) that there is a new edition out, so maybe he won't talk about the top quark not yet being discovered or other silly things.

nicksauce said:
I think Griffiths for particle physics is a great book if you want to learn particle physics without knowing QFT.

I agree. Nice discussion of Feynman diagrams.
nicksauce said:
I'm also under the impression (although I could be wrong) that there is a new edition out, so maybe he won't talk about the top quark not yet being discovered or other silly things.

I have the new edition. Nice discussion of neutrino masses and neutrino oscillations.

shankar's qm

applied pdes by haberman

munkres for topology

1. What is the difference between quantum mechanics and quantum field theory?

Quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles on a small scale, while quantum field theory takes into account the interaction between particles and their surrounding fields. Essentially, quantum mechanics is a subset of quantum field theory.

2. What is a partial differential equation (PDE) and how is it used in physics?

A PDE is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. In physics, PDEs are used to model and describe the behavior of physical systems, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and quantum systems.

3. How does topology relate to particle physics?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of shapes and spaces. In particle physics, topology is used to understand the structure and behavior of particles and their interactions with each other.

4. Can you explain the concept of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics?

Wave-particle duality is the concept that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that they can have both a definite position and a definite momentum, but the exact values of these properties cannot be known at the same time.

5. What is the connection between particle physics and the study of the fundamental forces of nature?

Particle physics is the study of the smallest building blocks of matter and their interactions. By understanding these particles and their interactions, we can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of the universe, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces.