How can the common tangent of two curves be found without using derivatives?

• Thread starter cruisx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tangent
In summary: Ax + 3, for some value of A.now try a tiny-teeny-weeny value of x (ie very close to 0) in the equation for the curve, and see what for value of A it looks most like y = Ax + 3. :smile:
cruisx

Homework Statement

Hi guys, need some help finding the common tangent of two curves.
Two curves y = 3X3+6X2+6X+3 and y = 3X3+6X+3 touch each other. Find the common tangent.

Homework Equations

y = 3X3+6X2+6X+3 and y = 3X3+6X+3

The Attempt at a Solution

well i made the two equations equal each other and then i found the X values. After that i subbed the values in the the original equations to get my y values. My points ended up being
(0,3) and (-1,0)

is the correct? what do i do after this?
First time with calculus so not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cruisx! :smile:
cruisx said:
y = 3X3+6X2+6X+3 and y = 3X3+6X+3

My points ended up being
(0,3) and (-1,0)

(0,3) yes, but how did you get (-1,0) ? :confused:

anyway, now find the tangent at (0,3). :smile:

tiny-tim said:

(0,3) yes, but how did you get (-1,0) ? :confused:

anyway, now find the tangent at (0,3). :smile:

well...um i forget how i got (-1,0) so i only needed to find (0,3)? and then after i find the tangent i am done? I think i got -1,0 because my x values were -1 and 0 so i subbed -1 into one of my equations to get (-1,0). So i should use (0,3) to find the common tangent?

cruisx said:
I think i got -1,0 because my x values were -1 and 0 so i subbed -1 into one of my equations to get (-1,0).

Yeah, I guessed that … but how did you get x = -1?

(I got 6X2 = 0)
So i should use (0,3) to find the common tangent?

Yes. :smile:

Hi, so it seems that our next unit is derivatives so i am guessing i will have to find the tangent differently? can someone tell me how to find the tangent using (0,3) because it seems that it has to lead to a derivative or what ever that is. Will find out tomorrow.

(just got up :zzz: …)
cruisx said:
Hi, so it seems that our next unit is derivatives so i am guessing i will have to find the tangent differently? can someone tell me how to find the tangent using (0,3) because it seems that it has to lead to a derivative or what ever that is. Will find out tomorrow.

hmm … without derivatives? :redface:

ok … try this …

you know the tangent (to either curve) is a straight line through (0,3),

so it has to be y = Ax + 3, for some value of A.

now try a tiny-teeny-weeny value of x (ie very close to 0) in the equation for the curve, and see what for value of A it looks most like y = Ax + 3. :smile:

(if you prefer, change the cooridnate to y' = y - 3, so the curves meet at the origin)

1. What is a common tangent?

A common tangent is a line that touches two curves at exactly one point.

2. How do you find the common tangent of two curves?

To find the common tangent of two curves, you must first find the equations of the curves. Then, set the equations equal to each other and solve for the x-values of the points where the curves intersect. Finally, plug these x-values into one of the original equations to find the corresponding y-values. The resulting coordinates will be the point where the common tangent touches both curves.

3. Are there multiple common tangents for two curves?

Yes, there can be zero, one, or multiple common tangents for two curves. It depends on the curvature and positioning of the curves.

4. Can the common tangent be a vertical line?

No, the common tangent must be a line with a non-infinite slope. A vertical line has an infinite slope and therefore cannot be a common tangent.

5. Why is finding the common tangent important?

Finding the common tangent can be useful in many applications, such as optimization problems in math and determining the stability of chemical reactions in science. It can also provide insight into the relationship between two curves and can help in solving related problems.